Shakespeare characters plate.
- Additional Title(s):
On bottom of plate: Shakespeare characters, all the word's a stage
- England, [1964?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 plate : Queen's ware, cream-colored earthenware ; 26 cm in diameter
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsCabinet R2Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Neale Albert, Yale JD 1961, and Margaret AlbertAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View catalog record for William Shakespeare commemorative ceramic mug
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Perhaps designed by Victor Skellern, designer of a Wedgwood commemorative mug on the same subject, in 1964. All 10 characters on the plate are included among the 12 characters on Skellern's mug.
With backstamp "Wedgwood of Etruria & Barlaston. Made in England." The backstamp was used from 1940 until 1974, when the circled R (for registered trade mark) was added.
BAC: British Art Center copy in contemporary purple cardboard Wedgwood box.
"Shakespeare characters. All the world's a stage. This plate shows the Globe Theater Bankside and historic roles played by the actors listed below in the plays of William Shakespeare ... In association with the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust."--Bottom of plate.
- Subject Terms:
- Globe Theatre (London, England : 1599-1644)Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Anniversaries, etc.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Characters.
- Ceramic (material)
- Mr. Shuter as Falstaff
- Mr. Smith as Richard III
- Mrs. Lessingham as Ophelia
- Mr. Grist as Othello
- Mrs. Hopkins as Volumnia
- Mr. Garrick as Macbeth
- Miss P. Hopkins as Lavinia
- Mr. Garrick as King Lear
- Mr. Kean as Hamlet
- Mrs. Balkley as Mrs. Ford.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.