Mouchoir des connaissances utiles : résumé des meilleures recettes indispensables à tous les ménages / A. Buquet, desr. gravr.
- A Rouen : Manufacture de E. Renault, [ca. 1850-ca. 1870?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 printed handkerchief : cotton ; 69 x 77 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTextiles 17cYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Between 1830 and 1905 the Buquet family of artists and engravers designed over 300 printed handkerchiefs on a range of topics, varyingly humorous, commemorative, or practical. Handkerchiefs offering military instructions were among the most popular and reprinted. A number of handkerchiefs also treated politics and current events. While often intended to be worn around the neck, they could also be displayed on a wall, or carried on one's person to reference. The "Mouchoir des connaissances utiles," first published around 1840, was one of the more enduring themes.
Printed in black. With red border.
The design is signed "A. Buquet" at top right, probably for Alexandre Buquet (1801-1846), founder of the Buquet atelier. Alfred Buquet (d. 1934) was a later practicioner.
Instructional handkerchief designed in the Buquet atelier of Rouen. The present example illustrates 32 useful household hints and "recettes," giving advice on a range of domestic situations. Eight topics are included, with four or more hints given for each, under the headings: Aliments (food), Boissons (drink), Vêtement (clothing), Ameublement (furnishing), Toilette (bath and beauty), Hygiène (health), Recettes (recipes) and Diverses (sundry). The hints include a quick way to leaven bread, a means of preserving artichokes throughout the year, a recipe for an almond hand-cream, one for cleaning copper, on the care of lace, a cure for tooth-ache, and a recipe to kill rats.
- Subject Terms:
- Clothing and dress -- France.Food -- France.Formulas, recipes, etc. -- France.Home economics -- France.Traditional medicine -- France -- Formulae, receipts, prescriptions.
- Cloth prints.
Printed textile materials.
Engravings -- 1850-1870.
YCBA Collections Search
Buquet, Alexandre, 1801-1846, Mouchoir des connaissances utiles , [ca. 1850-ca. 1870?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.