Drawings of rooms at Grafton Lodge, with perspective studies, 1844
- Drawings of rooms at Grafton Lodge, with perspective studies.
- Great Britain, 1844.
- Physical Description:
- 10 drawings ; sheet 19 x 23 cm, or smaller
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNK2043 .D73 1844+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Ten drawings in pen and black ink, six of which depict interior views of Grafton Lodge, showing the breakfast parlor, dining room, study, drawing room, bedroom, and southwest bedroom. Three of the drawings are signed Virginie (or Virginia), and one is dated May 2nd, 1844. Four additional drawings are perspective studies: Square pavement in parallel perspective; Square pavement in oblique perspective; Proportionate increase of extent seen through an aperture; and an untitled drawing of a cruciform object. The drawings of rooms also employ the technique of perspective. All drawings appear to be the work of a late adolescent.
The residence is clearly that of an affluent family. The more formal rooms all depict carpeting and draperies. There is an upright piano in the drawing room and a chaise lounge in the breakfast parlor. The "south west bedroom" depicts four beds, each with partial canopy.
The study is comparatively bare, with simple wooden floors. A workbench is paced right below a large window at the far wall. On the wall to the right appear to be two rows of slanted ledges, on which are placed 15 rectangular items. It's possible that the study is used as a sort of artist's workspace, with artwork (prints?) displayed at right.
It is unclear which "Grafton Lodge" is the subject of the present set of drawings. Multiple locations with this name are known, including dwellings in Shropshire and in Northamptonshire.
- Subject Terms:
- Domestic space -- Great Britain -- 19th century -- Pictorial works.Grafton Lodge (Great Britain)Interior decoration -- Great Britain -- 19th century -- Pictorial works.Perspective.Property -- Great Britain -- 19th century -- Pictorial works.
- Children's art.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.