George, Adrian, 1944-, The curator's handbook , 2016
- The curator's handbook : museums, commercial galleries, independent spaces / Adrian George.
- London : Thames & Hudson, 2016.
- Physical Description:
- 333 pages : color illustrations ; 22 cm
- Reference LibraryAM151 .G46 2016 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 316-323) and index.
The essential practical handbook for all those involved in, or studying, the dynamic field of curating. From pitching your ideas and writing loan requests to working with artists, lenders and art handlers; from writing interpretation material to installing and promoting your exhibition, this is the most clear and complete guide yet to the art of curating. The introduction maps the history of curating from its origins in the 17th century to the multifarious roles of the curator today: tastemaker, custodian, interpreter, educator, facilitator and organizer. Adrian George then guides the reader through the processes of curating an exhibition in twelve chapters. Each step is described in valuable detail and clear, informative language by this experienced curator, whose text pinpoints the keys to success (as well as which pitfalls to avoid). With advice and tips from a cast of international museum directors and curators - including Daniel Birnbaum, Aric Chen, Elizabeth Ann MacGregor, Hans Ulrich Obrist, Jennifer Russell and Nicholas Serota - this is the essential handbook for all students, museum and gallery professionals, and established or aspiring curators.--Publisher.
- Introduction -- Starting off -- From ideas to reality -- Proposals, pitching and planning -- Budgets and fundraising -- Contracts, negotiations, obligations and evaluations -- Exhibition publications & merchandise -- Putting a show together -- The weeks before the opening -- Installation -- The days before opening and the opening day -- The press opening and private view -- During -- and after -- the exhibition -- Afterword: the future of curatorial practice.
- Subject Terms:
- Art museums -- Collection management.Art museums -- Collection management.Art museums -- Exhibitions.Art museums.Exposiciones.Konstkuratorer.Konstmuseer.Konstutställningar.Museos de arte -- Gestión.Museum curators -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Museum curators.Utställningar.Utställningsteknik.
- Exhibition catalogs.
Handbooks and manuals.