IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Bryars, Tim, A history of the twentieth century in 100 maps , 2014
A history of the twentieth century in 100 maps / Tim Bryars and Tom Harper.
- Additional Title(s):
History of the twentieth century in one hundred maps
- Chicago : The University of Chicago Press, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- 240 pages : color illustrations, color maps ; 28 cm
- Reference LibraryGA793.7.A1 H37 2014 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email email@example.com]
- Full Orbis Record:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 230-235) and index.
"The twentieth century was a golden age of mapmaking, an era of cartographic boom. Maps proliferated and permeated almost every aspect of daily life, not only chronicling geography and history but also charting and conveying myriad political and social agendas. A select one hundred maps from the millions printed, drawn, or otherwise constructed recount the century's key events and developments. Maps make ideal narrators, and the maps in this book tell the story of the 1900s, which saw two world wars, the Great Depression, the Swinging Sixties, the Cold War, feminism, leisure, and the Internet. Several of the maps have already gained recognition for their historical significancefor example, Harry Beck's iconic London Underground map; but the majority of maps on these pages have rarely, if ever, been seen in print since they first appeared. There are maps that were printed on handkerchiefs and on the endpapers of books; maps that were used in advertising or propaganda; maps that were strictly official and those that were entirely commercial; maps that were printed by the thousand, and highly specialized maps issued in editions of just a few dozen; maps that were envisaged as permanent keepsakes of major events, and maps that were relevant for a matter of hours or days"--Book jacket.
- Subject Terms:
- British colonies.Cartography -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.Cartography -- History -- 20th century.Cartography.Great Britain -- Colonies -- History -- 20th century -- Maps.Great Britain -- History -- 20th century -- Maps.Great Britain.
- A weary titan? 1900-1918
- Top dog! 1919-1945
- Bust to boom to bust. 1946-1972
- Out of the red and into the blue. 1973-1999