The works of Mr. Francis Rabelais, doctor in physick : containing five books of the lives, heroick deeds & sayings of Gargantua, and his sonne Pantagruel : together with the Pantagrueline prognostication, the Oracle of the divine Bacbuc, and response of the bottle : hereunto are annexed the Navigations unto the Sounding isle, and the isle of the Apedefts : as likewise the Philosophical cream with a Limosin epistle / all done by Mr. Francis Rabelais, in the French tongue, and now faithfully translated into English ; illustrated by W. Heath Robinson.
- Additional Title(s):
Works. English. 1904
- London : Grant Richards, 48 Leicester Square, 1904.
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes : illustrations ; 30 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPQ1685.E5 .U7 1904+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Gift of Bert BoysonView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Title pages printed in red and black.
Reprint of the 1653 edition, which was a translation by Thomas Urquhart and Peter A. Motteux.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary gilt-stamped morocco. Bound by Whitman Bennett.
- Subject Terms:
- Fantasy fiction, French -- Translations into English.French literature -- Translations into English.Gargantua (Legendary character) -- Fiction.Giants -- Fiction.
YCBA Collections Search
Rabelais, François, approximately 1490-1553?, The works of Mr. Francis Rabelais, doctor in physick , 1904
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.