Indenture placing John Dikes into the service of John Morris, joiner, 1740 October 6
Indenture placing John Dikes into the service of John Morris, joiner.
- Additional Title(s):
This indenture witnesseth, that John Dikes ...
- England, 1740 October 6.
- Physical Description:
- 1 sheet ( page) : illustrations ; 33 x 21 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsLC4096.G7 I63 1740 BoxYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Archives & Manuscripts
- "This indenture witnesseth that [John Dikes], one of the poor [boys] of the charity-school [commonly called the Blue Coat School in the Parish of St. Margaret, Westminster, in the county of Middlesex] doth put h[im]self apprentice to [John Morris of the Parish of St. John the Evangelist, joiner] to learn h[is] art, and with h[im] after the manner of an apprentice to serve from the day of the date hereof, unto the full end and term of [seven] years ... And the said M[aster], (in consideration of the sum of [five] pounds paid to [him] ... ) ... shall teach and instruct, or cause to be taught and instructed, finding unto his said apprentice, meat drink apparel, lodging, washing, and all other necessaries ... In witness thereof, the parties abovenamed to these indentures interchangeably have put their hands and seals the [sixth] day of [October], Anno Dom. 17 ... [Memorandm. And it is further covenanted & agreed that the sd. Master shall find and provide for his sd. apprentice one complete suite of new cloths both of linnen and woolen at the expiration of the sd. term. John Morris."
"Sealed and delivered (being first duly stamp'd) in the presence of us, [Edmd. Ball, Justinian Ekins]"
The Blewcoat School in the parish of St. Margaret, Westminster, was established as a charity school for the education of poor boys in 1688. It first admitted girls in 1714. In 1709, the school moved to purpose-built premises in Caxton Street, Westminster, where it would remain (in various forms) until 1939. The building presently serves as a gift shop for the National Trust.
Indentures were a standard legal contract for several centuries. Two copies of the document would be made on a single piece of parchment or paper, and then cut in a zig-zag (making the edge resemble teeth, hence the term indenture) to prevent forgery.
At the head of the indenture is an engraved allegorical triptych. The center panel features a depiction of George III. At left, a young female student stands in front of "the Pillar of Faith" and bears a sign reading "And we as mothers of our Israel." At right, a young male student stands in front of "the Gate of Life" and bears a sign reading "In cause of Church & State may we Excell."
Includes a blind-embossed tax stamp.
Printed indenture, completed in manuscript, placing John Dikes, of the blue coat school in Westminster, into the service of John Morris, joiner, in the Parish of St. John the Evangelist, Westminster (?), for a period of seven years, from the date of 6 October 1740.
- Subject Terms:
- Apprentices -- England -- London.Charity-schools -- England -- London.Dikes, John, born ca. 1730.George III, King of Great Britain, 1738-1820 -- Portraits.Indentured servants -- England -- London.Joiners -- England -- London.London (England). Blewcoat School.Morris, John (Joiner)
- Blank forms.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.