British trees : nine cards / John Dilnot.
- [England] : John Dilnot, 1996.
- Physical Description:
- 9 cards : illustrations ; each 15 x 12 cm, in box 16 x 12 x 2 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4.D45 B45 1996 FlatYale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "When a print is being produced, the sheet to be printed has to be positioned and registration tabs put in place so that each sheet is put exactly in the same position when being printed. These screen printed cards were made registration free, without using any registration tabs. The result is that the prints are all unique with the element of chance, some are in registration and others are in various stages of mis-registration. I did discover that an out of registration print does contain more energy than a print in registration which I found interesting. I did however have a different purpose for making this box of cards. Having looked at cheap mass printing much of which is shoddy and out of registration, I was thinking about the great lengths that the manufacturing process is going to and the recourses being used to make something unsatisfactory and ephemeral. I had also seen some card sets of kinds of trees and was concerned that although they attempt to give information, I'm not sure that they would be good enough to identify a species of tree. I took this a stage further and made very general stylised drawings of varieties of trees. Therefore the finished cards take paper made from trees to depict trees."--Information provided by the artist.
Title, artist, and date from box.
Issued in a limited edition of 75 copies.
BAC: British Art Center is no. 4 of 75; signed by the artist. Accompanied by three related items: British Tree Leaves post card; British Trees greeting card; and Sweet Chestnut greeting card, 1996.
Each card with screen-printed image of a different tree. In box, reprinting the image of the sweet chestnut.
- Subject Terms:
- Dilnot, John -- Autograph.Trees in art.
- Screenprints -- 1996.
- Horse Chestnut
- Sweet Chestnut
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.