Ould, Martyn A., 1948-, Printing at the University Press, Oxford, 1660-1780 , MMXV- [2015-]
Printing at the University Press, Oxford, 1660-1780 / Martyn Ould.
- Additional Title(s):
University Press, Oxford, 1660-1780
- Cliff Edge, Beer Hill, Seaton, U.K. : The Old School Press, MMXV- [2015-]
- Physical Description:
- 3 volumes : illustrations, plans, facsimiles ; 29 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsZ232.O98 O95 2015+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Gift of Neale Albert, Yale JD 1961, and Margaret AlbertAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN 2017 +12: No. XIII, signed by the author. Includes additional volumes and housed in slipcase as issued. "Correspondence on paper" not numbered.
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. IX of a limited edition of 250 copies. One of fifty "de luxe" copies, with additional volume (Correspondence on paper). In original slipcase.
Place of publication from title-page verso.
Titles of additional volumes: Volume 1: Correspondence on paper ; volume 2: Leaves from the Learned Press.
"The text was set in monotype 12/14 pt Van Dijck by Stan Lane at Gloucester Typesetting. It was printed on 148 gsm Mohawk Superfine paper at Gloucester Typesetting.on a Heidelberg cylinder press by Stan Lane and Martyn Ould. The end-papers are also Mohawk Superfine. The binding of the edition was executed by Ludlow Bookbinders. The fifty de luxe copies, numbered I to L, were bound in quarter leather and a paper marbled by Jemma Lewis and accompanied by an additional volume (Correspondence on paper). The standard copies numbered 1 to 190 have a dust jacket of Hahnemühle Bugra Bütten. Copies 191 to 200 were reserved in sheets for binders."--Colophon.
Volume 1 is part of a limited edition of 250 copies.
On slip laid in volume 1: "At the time of writing this book I anticipated a fourth volume, concerning the Bible Press in the 1770s. In the event it became apparent that given the nature of the material -- tables, graphs, etc. -- it would not make a suitable letterpress book and deserved to stand on its own. My expectation now is that it will appear as a paper in the Journal of the Printing Historical Society."
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Fine books -- England -- 21st century -- Specimens.Limited editions -- England -- 21st century -- Specimens.Ould, Martyn A., 1948- -- Autograph.Oxford University Press -- History.Oxford University Press.Printing -- England -- Oxford -- History -- 17th century.Printing -- England -- Oxford -- History -- 18th century.Private press books -- England -- 21st century -- Specimens.Publishers and publishing -- England -- Oxford -- History -- 17th century.Publishers and publishing -- England -- Oxford -- History -- 18th century.Type and type-founding -- England -- Oxford -- History -- 17th century.Type and type-founding -- England -- Oxford -- History -- 18th century.
- Volume 1. Resources : premises, people & paper
- Volume 2. Resources : type
- Volume III. Process.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.