Phibbs, John, Capability Brown , 2016
Capability Brown : designing the English landscape / John Phibbs ; principal photography by Joe Cornish.
- New York : Rizzoli, 2016.
- Physical Description:
- 280 pages : color illustrations ; 32 cm
- Reference LibrarySB470.B7 P45 2016 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes bibliographical references.
Lancelot 'Capability' Brown's designs are organic, weaving gestures of colour and perspective into the features that the country already afforded. So natural are his designs, and so perfectly do they complement the houses within them, that for many a Capability Brown landscape is the epitome of the English estate. His gardens and parklands as much as the houses themselves would become icons of British country life. Published to coincide with the tercentenary of his birth, this book illuminates fifteen of Brown's most celebrated landscapes. Including rarely seen archival drawings that shed light on Brown's process, this book serves as a guide to Britain's most beloved landscapes and an exploration of the masterful mind behind their creation.
- Subject Terms:
- Brown, Lancelot, 1715-1783.Brown, Lancelot, 1716-1783.Brown, Lancelot, 1716-1783.England.England.Gartenkunst.Landscape architects -- England.Landscape architects.Landschaftsarchitektur.Landschaftsgarten.