The games we played : the golden age of board & table games / Margaret K. Hofer ; with a foreword by Kenneth T. Jackson.
- First edition.
- New York : Princeton Architectural Press, 
- Physical Description:
- 159 pages : color illustrations ; 28 cm
- Reference LibraryGV1317 .H64 2003 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Non-Yale users must make an appointment to use the Reference Library. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Related Content:
- Contributor biographical information
- "From the New-York Historical Society's Liman Collection."
"Inspired by ... an exhibition held at the New-York Historical Society from April 2, 2002, to April 13, 2003"--Title page verso.
Includes bibliographical references (page 158).
"A veritable encyclopedia of late 19th and early 20th century games, this playful visual survey provides a revealing look at the social values and preoccupatons of the culture that produced them."--Cover.
- Subject Terms:
- Board games -- History.Board games.Liman, Ellen -- Art collections.
- Introduction, rules of the game
- Parlor amusements
- "The world's educator"
- Morals to materialism
- War games
- Parlor athletics
- The urban experience
- 'Round the world.