Turner's modern and ancient ports : passages through time / Susan Grace Galassi, Ian Warrell, and Joanna Sheers Seidenstein ; with Gillian Forrester, Rebecca Hellen, and Eloise Owens.
- New York : The Frick Collection ; New Haven : in association with Yale University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xi, 163 pages : color illustrations ; 29 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.T85 A12 2017 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Catalog of an exhibition held at The Frick Collection, New York, from February 23 through May 14, 2017.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 151-159) and index.
"Widely considered Britain's greatest painter, Joseph Mallord William Turner (1775-1851) is best known for his light-filled landscapes and seascapes. A relentless traveler, Turner often turned his artistic attention to the theme of modern and ancient ports. In the mid-1820s, Turner exhibited two monumental, and controversial, paintings of ports: Cologne and Dieppe. Shocking for their intense luminosity and yellow tonality, as well as for Turner's unorthodox handling of paint, these works marked a transition in the artist's career as he moved away from naturalism and toward a new, poetic topography. This in-depth study of these two seminal paintings also addresses a wide selection of Turner's works in both oil and watercolor from the 1820s, placing them in the context of radical changes in British social and economic structures taking place at the time. Drawing from period travel accounts, contemporary critical commentary, and new technical analyses of Turner's work, this magnificently illustrated book brings a fresh, new perspective to the pivotal middle years of Turner's career"-- Provided by publisher.
- Subject Terms:
- Harbors in art -- Exhibitions.Harbors in art.Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851 -- Exhibitions.Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851.
- Exhibition catalogs.
- Modern Histories: Turner's Chronicles of War, Peace, and the Course of Empire / by Gillian Forrester
- Shifting Currents: Turner's Depictions of Coasts, Rivers, Harbors, and Ports in the 1820s / by Ian Warrell
- Liminal Spaces: Turner's Paintings of Dieppe and Cologne / by Susan Grace Galassi
- 'Unfinished Productions': History and Process in Turner's 1820s Port Scenes of Dieppe, Cologne, and Brest / by Rebecca Hellen
- Inglorious Histories: Turner's Ancient Ports / by Joanna Sheers Seidenstein.