Postcards of Lily Elsie, ca. 1907-1910
- Postcards of Lily Elsie.
- Great Britain, ca. 1907-1910.
- Physical Description:
- 5 postcards
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsHD9200 .F79 1909 FlatYale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View catalog record for the J.S. Fry & Sons chocolate box featuring a photograph of Lily Elsie
- Five postcards depicting the popular English actress and singer Lily Elsie, ca. 1910.
Postcards nos. 1 and 2 depict Elsie in the title role of The Merry Widow (1907). Both are signed Foulsham & Banfield; they are Rotary Photo nos. 4827L and 4827V, respectively. Both are addressed to Miss Dolly Harris, at 66 Marquis Rd., Camden Sq., NW, with postmarks of Feb. 25 and Dec. 25, 1909.
Postcard no. 3 depicts Elsie in the role of Alice, from The Dollar Princess (1909). The image also depicts Robert Michaelis, in the role of Freddy Fairfax. It is Rotary Photo no. 7490, photograph by Foulsham & Banfield. The card is not completed in manuscript on the reverse.
Postcard no. 4 depicts Elise seated on a bench, without reference to a theatrical production. It is Beagles' Postcards no. 179.0, photograph by Rita Martin. The card is not completed in manuscript on the reverse.
Postcard no. 5 depicts Elsie standing in a full-length coat and large hat, with the autograph of Elsie, in black ink. It is Rotary Photo no. 11501, by Foulsham & Banfield. The reverse is addressed to B. Cavell, Wallingford, Berkshire, but bears no evidence of mailing.
The postcards are housed with a chocolate box by J.S. Fry & Sons bearing a photograph of Lily Elsie. See link provided herewith.
- Subject Terms:
- Actresses -- Great Britain.Elsie, Lily, 1886-1962 -- Portraits.Fall, Leo, 1873-1925. Dollarprinzessin. English.Lehár, Franz, 1870-1948. Lustige Witwe. English.Michaelis, Robert, 1884-1965 -- Portraits.Theater -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.