The Eastern puzzle.
- [Place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [approximately 1885]
- Physical Description:
- 1 sheet : illustrations ; 15 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1200 .E27 1885 BoxYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Folded paper puzzle consisting of four lithographed portraits of Gortschakoff, Andrassy, Sadyk Pacha and Bismarck. By doubling up the sheet of paper two portraits are made out of the four- Sadyk Pasha and Bismarck. Another fold of the paper and the four statesmen's portraits make up a likeness of Earl Beaconsfield. Above that likeness are the words "This is the head!" Puzzle is possibly a souvenir of the Russo-Turkish War, 1877-1878 and the Congress of Berlin.
Phrases surrounding portraits: Question, This is the head, Which is the head, To solve it?
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- Great Britain.Andrássy, Gyula, gróf, 1823-1890 -- Portraits.Bismark, Friedrich Wilhelm, Graf von, 1783-1860 -- Portraits.Congress of Berlin (1878)Czajkowski, Michał, 1804-1886Disraeli, Benjamin, 1804-1881 -- Portraits.Games -- Great Britain.Gorchakov, Aleksandr Mikhaĭlovich, kni︠a︡zʹ, 1798-1883 -- Portraits.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Russo-Turkish War, 1877-1878
Lithographs -- [approximately 1885]
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.