Album of cartes-de-visite depicting royalty of Britain and Europe and other contemporary notables, 1860-1862
Album of cartes-de-visite depicting royalty of Britain and Europe and other contemporary notables.
- Great Britain, 1860-1862.
- Physical Description:
- 1 album (50 photographs) ; 15 x 12 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTR680 .A53 1861 FlatYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Bound in later (?) blind-stamped morocco, with brass clasp.
Album of 50 cartes-de-visite, depicting royalty from Britain and beyond, as well as other political figures, lords, and notables. The photographs are mostly albumen prints. Aside from one photograph at front and four at back, all are encapsulated within window mounts, on the rectos and versos of 23 thick gilt-edged leaves. The mounts may in some cases conceal captions. The name Disderi (prominent maker of cartes-de-viste) appears on two photographs. Sitters are identified by captions in black ink at the foot of each page (written on paper slips pasted to the page). Most captions are dated 1861; a few are dated 1860 or 1862.
Page 1 bears an inscription from Chester Doughty (1838-1908), of Woodbridge, Suffolk, to his aunt Mary Ann Doughty, of Wortham Hall, Suffolk. The front pastedown also bears the armorial bookplate of M.A. Doughty, signed in blue ink: "Wortham, July, 1861."
- Subject Terms:
- Albert, Prince Consort, consort of Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1819-1861 -- Portraits.Alford, Henry, 1810-1871 -- Portraits.Alice, Grand Duchess, consort of Ludwig IV, Grand Duke of Hesse-Darmstadt, 1843-1878 -- Portraits.Arthur, Prince, Duke of Connaught, 1850-1942 -- Portraits.Beatrice, Princess Henry of Battenberg, 1857-1944 -- Portraits.Braidwood, James, 1800-1861 -- Portraits.Canning, Charles John, 1812-1862 -- Portraits.Cavour, Camillo Benso, conte di, 1810-1861 -- Portraits.Chartres, Robert-Philippe-Louis-Eugène-Ferdinand d'Orléans, duc de, 1840-1910 -- Portraits.Clyde, Colin Campbell, Baron, 1792-1863 -- Portraits.Coleridge, John Duke Coleridge, Baron, 1820-1894 -- Portraits.Dickens, Charles, 1812-1870 -- Portraits.Duleep Singh, Maharajah, 1838-1893 -- Portraits.Elgin, James Bruce, Earl of, 1811-1863 -- Portraits.Eugénie, Empress, consort of Napoleon III, Emperor of the French, 1826-1920 -- Portraits.Europe -- Kings and rulers -- Portraits.Frederick III, German Emperor, 1831-1888 -- Portraits.Gladstone, W. E. (William Ewart), 1809-1898 -- Portraits.Great Britain -- Kings and rulers -- Portraits.Helena Augusta Victoria, Princess Christian of Schleswig-Holstein, 1846-1923 -- Portraits.Lawrence, John Laird Mair, 1811-1879 -- Portraits.Léopold II, King of the Belgians, 1835-1909 -- Portraits.Longfellow, Henry Wadsworth, 1807-1882 -- Portraits.Louis Napoléon, Prince Impérial of the French, 1856-1879 -- Portraits.Louise, Princess, Duchess of Argyll, 1848-1939 -- Portraits.Ludwig IV, Grand Duke of Hesse-Darmstadt, 1837-1892 -- Portraits.Mary, Princess, Duchess of Teck, 1833-1897 -- Portraits.Napoleon III, Emperor of the French, 1808-1873 -- Portraits.Nightingale, Florence, 1820-1910 -- Portraits.Nobility -- Europe -- Portraits.Nobility -- Great Britain -- Portraits.Palmerston, Henry John Temple, Viscount, 1784-1865 -- Portraits.Paris, Louis-Philippe-Albert d'Orléans, comte de, 1838-1894 -- Portraits.Pedro V, King of Portugal, 1837-1861 -- Portraits.Peel, Robert, 1822-1895 -- Portraits.Richmond, Charles Henry Gordon-Lennox, Duke of, 1818-1903 -- Portraits.Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Alfred, Duke of, 1844-1900 -- Portraits.Smith, Albert, 1816-1860 -- Portraits.Tait, Archibald Campbell, 1811-1882 -- Portraits.Tennyson, Alfred Tennyson, Baron, 1809-1892 -- Portraits.Thackeray, William Makepeace, 1811-1863 -- Portraits.Victor Emmanuel II, King of Italy, 1820-1878 -- Portraits.Victoria, Empress, consort of Frederick III, German Emperor, 1840-1901 -- Portraits.Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1819-1901 -- Portraits.Wellington, Elizabeth Wellesley, Duchess of, 1820-1904 -- Portraits.ʻAbd al-Qādir ibn Muḥyī al-Dīn, Amir of Mascara, 1807?-1883 -- Portraits.
- Cartes-de-visite (card photographs)
Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
- IIIF Manifest:
-  Manuscript inscriptions
-  Henry W. Longfellow
-  Queen Victoria
-  Lord Palmerston
-  Prince Albert
-  Leopold II of Belgium
-  Princess Helena
-  Princess Marie of Baden
-  Princess Louise
-  The comte de Paris
-  Prince Alfred
-  Alfred Tennyson
-  Princess Alice
-  Archibald Campbell Tait
-  Victoria, Princess Royal
-  Louis Napoléon, Prince Impérial
-  Princess Beatrice
-  Empress Eugénie
-  Princess Mary, Duchess of Teck
-  Pedro V, King of Portugal
-  Frederick William, Crown Prince of Prussia
-  The duc de Chartres
-  Prince Louis (Ludwig) of Hesse
-  Abdel Kader, i.e. ʻAbd al-Qādir ibn Muḥyī al-Dīn, Amir of Mascara
-  Duleep Singh
-  Colin Campbell, 1st Baron Clyde
-  Lord Canning
-  Napoleon III
-  Victor Emanuel, King of Italy
-  Camillo Benso, Count of Cavour
-  President Lincoln
-  Sir Robert Peel, 3rd Baronet
-  Duchess of Wellington
-  Henry Alford, Dean of Canterbury
-  Sir John Coleridge
-  The Duke of Richmond
-  The Earl of Elgin
-  "The Four Napoleons"
-  Sir John Lawrence
-  W.E. Gladstone
-  Prince Arthur
-  Ravey (?) the American horse trainer (?)
-  Florence Nightingale
-  Charles Dickens
-  W.M. Thackeray
-  Albert Smith of Mont Blanc celebrity
-  James Braidwood, of the fire brigade.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.