IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Museum of Modern Art (New York, N.Y.), The shape of things , 
The shape of things : photographs from Robert B. Menschel / Quentin Bajac ; with an essay by Sarah Hermanson Meister.
- Additional Title(s):
Photographs from Robert B. Menschel
- New York : The Museum of Modern Art 
- Physical Description:
- 152 pages : illustrations (some color), portraits ; 28 cm
- Reference LibraryTR653 .S53 2016 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email email@example.com]
- Full Orbis Record:
- Published in conjunction with an exhibition of the same name held October 29, 2016-May 7, 2017 at the Museum of Modern Art.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 146-149) and index.
"The Shape of Things: Photographs from Robert B. Menschel presents an engaging survey of The Museum of Modern Art's multifaceted collection of photography. Borrowing its title from the eponymous work by Carrie Mae Weems, the exhibition is drawn entirely from works acquired over the past 40 years with the support of Robert B. Menschel, telling the story of photography from its beginnings. Covering more than 150 years of photography--from an 1843 view of Paris by William Henry Fox Talbot, the English father of photography, to An-My Lê's depictions of US military exercises in preparation for war in Iraq and Afghanistan--the exhibition underscores an equal attention to the past and the present, and a strong belief that they complement each other; and that each generation reinvents photography. Since Menschel joined the Committee on Photography at MoMA in 1977, over 500 works have entered the collection through his support, including 162 photographs he recently donated from his personal collection"--Provided by publisher.
- Subject Terms:
- Menschel, Robert -- Photograph collections -- Exhibitions.Museum of Modern Art (New York, N.Y.)Museum of Modern Art (New York, N.Y.) -- Photograph collections -- Exhibitions.Photograph collections -- New York (State) -- New York -- Exhibitions.Photography -- History -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.Photography.
- Exhibition catalogs.