Specimens of Cryptogamia, Filicales, Musci , circa 1850
- Specimens of Cryptogamia, Filicales, Musci : British ferns and mosses.
- Great Britain, circa 1850.
- Physical Description:
- 48 pages : botanical specimens ; 28 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQK513 .S64 1850+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Album of pressed ferns and mosses collected by an unidentified compiler, ca. 1850. Rectos of each of 24 leaves (and the rear pastedown) bear one or more specimens, labeled in black ink with the common and Latin names of the specimens. Where possible, the compiler has mounted specimens so as to show both sides of the fern fronds. On each facing page, the compiler has copied selections of verse treating ferns, mosses, and related subjects. Much of the verse is religious in tone, with selections from Eliza Cook, Sir James Edward Smith, David Landsborough, Louise Anne Twamley, William Gardiner, Hannah F. Gould, Milton, Cowper, Wordsworth, Felicia Hemans, Edwin Lees, Sir Walter Scott, and others.
Title from front pastedown.
Bound in contemporary patterned wrappers (white, gold, and red).
- Subject Terms:
- Botanical specimens -- Collection and preservation -- Great Britain.Botanical specimens -- Great Britain -- Specimens.Ferns -- Collection and preservation -- Great Britain.Ferns -- Great Britain -- Specimens.Mosses -- Collection and preservation -- Great Britain.Mosses -- Great Britain -- Specimens.Pressed flower pictures.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.