Jacobus Philippus, Bergomensis, 1434-1520, Supplementum Chronicharum, anno a natiuitate D[omi]ni Mcccclxxxxij. die decimoquinto Febriarij [15 Febuary 1493]
- [Venice] Impressum autem Venetijs : Per Magistrum Bernardinu[m] Riçium de Nouaria, anno a natiuitate D[omi]ni Mcccclxxxxij. die decimoquinto Febriarij [15 Febuary 1493]
- Physical Description:
- , 256,  leaves : woodcuts ; 32 cm (fol.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsMaps/Atlases 1834Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN 2017 +315: Capital spaces with guide letters; capitals supplied in red or blue. Some manuscript marginal notes.
BEIN 2017 +315: Provenance: 1. Antonio Pillone, 2. Odorico Pillone, 3. Venetian dealer Paolo Maresio Bazolle purchased from the Pillone family in 1874 and sold to 4. Sir Thomas Brooke (armorial bookplate) sold by his heirs in 1957 to 5. Pierre Berès (Bookplate: Libro no [in manuscript: 27] de la Bibliothèque Pillone, Pierre Berès). Acquired by the Beinecke Library from Jonathan A. Hill, Bookseller Inc.
BEIN 2017 +315: Binding: Contemporay Italian half brown goatskin over wooden boards tooled in blind by the Belluno bindery A, 2 three-line frames enclosing 2 borders of repeated impressions of a small pinnacle tool (Hobson tool 2), spine with diagonal fillets. The covering secured at the edge by a strip of leather nailed to the boards. Four original clasps with shaped decorated metal catchplates on lower cover. Single vellum flyleaf at each end; the vellum leaves seem to have been the wrapper for the book, in which it went to the binder; the first has the word "a fondello" written on it, and the book is half-bound. "Tabula" (A-B⁶) bound at front before title leaf. Fore-edge painting by Cesare Vecellio of an archer before a tower with abbreviated title "CRO.SVP" at bottom; top and bottom edges marbled.
BEIN Zi +4962 Copy 1: Ff. 51-54 (c. signature g³⁻⁶) wanting. Spaces for capitals left blank except for printed guide letters. "From the library of George Dunn of Woolley Hall near Maidenhead." Bound in stamped calf. Note: "apparently an original defect" removed.
BEIN Zi +4962 Copy 2: 30 cm. Spaces for capitals left blank except for printed guide letters.
Title from title page on a1; imprint from colophon.
Spaces for capitals left blank except for printed guide letters.
Copinger gives 2ff, 260 numb. ff., 10 ff. Pellechet gives end line on f. 256b: Hoc q[ue?]ppe / in exordio; in Yale copy: Hoc q[ue?]ppe in / exordio.
Gesamtkatalog der Wiegendrucke, M10980
Catalogue of books printed in the XVth century now in the British Museum, V, page 404 (IB. 22654)
Goff, F.R. Incunabula in American libraries, J-212
Incunabula short title catalogue, ij00212000
Copinger, W.A. Supplement to Hain's Repertorium bibliographicum, 2809*
Proctor, R. Index to the early printed books in the British Museum, 4962
Pellechet, M. Catalogue général des incunables des bibliothèques publiques de France, 2068
Pierre Berès (Firm). Bibliothèque Pillone, 27
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in later tree calf.
- Subject Terms:
- Bazolle, Paolo Maresio -- Ownership.Berès, Pierre -- Bookplate.Brooke, Thomas, Sir, 1830-1908 -- Bookplate.Dunn, George -- Ownership.Incunabula in Yale Library.Jonathan A. Hill, Inc. -- Ownership.Pillone, Antonio, -1533 -- Ownership.Pillone, Odorico -- Ownership.Vecellio, Cesare, approximately 1521-1601 -- Original art.
- Fore-edge paintings (Binding)
Binders' instructions (Binding)
Annotations (Provenance) -- 15th century.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
Blind tooled bindings (Binding)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.