The country house and the Great War , 
- The country house and the Great War : Irish and British experiences / Terence Dooley & Christopher Ridgway, editors.
- Dublin, Ireland ; Portland, OR : Four Courts Press, 
- Physical Description:
- 206 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Reference LibraryD524.7.G7 C68 2016 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Drawing on archival materials, and incorporating never-before-seen images, this volume presents a spectrum of experience: from owners, to servants and tenants, as well as the local communities that lived in the shadows of the country houses. These personal narratives identify lost or forgotten figures, uncover unknown stories and military records and excavate the more hidden histories of those who endured the war at home. They are a powerful reminder of the experiences common to many during the 1914-18 period, as well as a record of how individual lives were shaped by personalities and unique circumstances.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Personal narratives, British.World War, 1914-1918 -- Personal narratives, Irish.World War, 1914-1918 -- Social aspects -- Great Britain.World War, 1914-1918 -- Social aspects -- Ireland.