Oakley, Maroussia, The book and periodical illustrations of Arthur Hughes , 2016
- The book and periodical illustrations of Arthur Hughes : 'a spark of genius,' 1832-1915 / Maroussia Oakley.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Book & periodical illustrations of Arthur Hughes
- Pinner, Middlesex, England : Private Libraries Association ; New Castle, Delaware : Oak Knoll Press, 2016.
- Physical Description:
- 325 pages, 8 pages of plates : illustrations (some color), portrait, facsimiles ; 28 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.H8687 O25 2016 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- BEIN NJ18.H8687 O25 2016 (LC) Oversize: Unnumbered copy of 850 copies. Dust jacket.
"850 copies of which 150 for sale"--Title page verso.
"A checklist of books and periodicals illustrated by Arthur Hughes": pages 297-308.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 309-316) and indexes.
The Book and Periodical Illustrations of Arthur Hughes is the first detailed account of the work of this somewhat neglected Pre-Raphaelite artist between 1855 and 1913. Many of his books were intended for children, including such classics as 'At the Back of the North Wind' and 'The Princess and the Goblin', first published by Alexander Strahan in Good Words for the Young, 1869-71. Designs by Arthur Hughes for Christina Rossetti's 'Sing-Song' and 'Speaking Likenesses' were notable for their witty accompaniment to her poetry and prose, matching the curiosity of texts created to amuse (or terrify) Victorian and Edwardian children.
- Illustrations -- Introduction -- Poetry and rhyme -- Fact, fiction and fantasy for children -- Alexander Strahan's periodicals: Good words, The Sunday magazine, Good words for the young, & Good things for the young of all ages -- Illustrations in other periodicals and books.
- Subject Terms:
- England.Hughes, Arthur, 1832-1915.Hughes, Arthur, 1832-1915.Illustrated books -- England -- History -- 19th century.Illustrated books -- England -- History -- 20th century.Illustrated books.Illustrated periodicals -- England -- History -- 19th century.Illustrated periodicals -- England -- History -- 20th century.Illustrated periodicals.Pre-Raphaelites -- England -- Biography.Pre-Raphaelites.Strahan, Alexander, 1834?-1918.Strahan, Alexander, 1834?-1918.