IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Breydenbach, Bernhard von, approximately 1440-1497, Prefatio in opus transmarine peregrinationis ad venerandu[m] et gloriosum sepulcru[m] Dominicu[m] in Iherusale[m] .., anno salutis 1486 die xj Februarij
Prefatio in opus transmarine peregrinationis ad venerandu[m] et gloriosum sepulcru[m] Dominicu[m] in Iherusale[m] ...
- Additional Title(s):
Prefatio in opus transmarine peregrinationis ad venerandum et gloriosum sepulcrum Dominicum in Iherusalem ...
Peregrinatio in Terram Sanctam
- Impressum in ciuitate Moguntina : P[er] Erhardu[m] Reüwich de Traiecto Inferiori, anno salutis 1486 die xj Februarij.
- Physical Description:
-  leaves (5 folded) : ill. ; 32 cm. (fol.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS106 .B74 1486+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Related Content:
- View a selection of digital images in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database (Copy 2)
- BEIN Zi +156 Copy 1: Variant: Last letter (e in "pere-") inverted in line 1 of fol. 4v.
BEIN Zi +156 Copy 1: Rubricated throughout. Head- and tail-pieces hand-colored. Part of view of Jerusalem hand-colored.
BEIN Zi +156 Copy 1: Imperfect: wanting plates with view of Venice, view of Modon, middle [?] portion of view of the Holy Land, and final blank leaf. Some leaves and plates appear to have been supplied from another copy. Some plates mutilated. Complete view of Holy Land supplied in negative photostat.
BEIN Zi +156 Copy 1: Stamp: Ex Bibliotheca J. Richard D.M.
BEIN Zi +156 Copy 1: Bound in quarter old stamped leather over wooden boards, with clasps; lined with four leaves from a vellum 14th c. manuscript on canon law; the clasp hooks are missing.
BEIN Zi +156 Copy 2: Variant: Last letter (e in "pere-") inverted in line 1 of fol. 4v.
BEIN Zi +156 Copy 2: Imperfect: Final blank leaf wanting.
BEIN Zi +156 Copy 2: Bookplate: Frank Altschul. Inscription: Pro Conventu Olomucensi ad S. Bernardinum. Illegible stamp.
The first illustrated travel book printed, and the first to include images of real places. Also the first to include folding plates; the panorama of Venice is over five feet long. The view of Jerusalem is the earliest printed map of the Holy Land based on a contemporary eyewitness account.
Woodcuts by Erhard Reuwich.
Imprint from colophon, where name of printer precedes place of publication.
Title from incipit to preface (leaf 4r).
Capital spaces without guide letters.
Types of Peter Schöffer used. Cf. GW 5075.
1 binding fragment cataloged separately. To view other title search by call number: Zi +156
Hain, L. Repertorium bibliographicum, 3956
Copinger, W.A. Supplement to Hain's Repertorium bibliographicum, 3956
Proctor, R. Index to the early printed books in the British Museum, 156
Gesamtkatalog der Wiegendrucke, 5075
Catalogue of books printed in the XVth century now in the British Museum, v. I, p. 43 (IB.331)
Pellechet, M. Catalogue général des incunables des bibliothèques publiques de France, 2979
Goff, F.R. Incunabula in American libraries, B-1189
Incunabula short title catalogue, ib01189000
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary blind-stamped pigskin over wooden boards; clasps missing. Rubricated; with uncolored woodcuts. Inscribed: Monastery Baumburg.
An account of a pilgrimage to the Holy Land, with outstanding illustrations, and with information on various eastern peoples met en route.
- Subject Terms:
- Altschul, Frank, 1887-1981 -- Bookplate.Breydenbach, Bernhard von, -1497 -- Travel.Christian pilgrims and pilgrimages -- Palestine -- Early works to 1800.Incunabula in Yale Library.Jerusalem -- Maps.Monasteries -- Czech Republic -- Olomouc -- Inscription.Palestine -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Richard, J., D.M. -- Stamp.Sinai (Egypt) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Travelers' writings, German -- Early works to 1800.Venice (Italy) -- Pictorial works.
Manuscript waste (Binding).
Woodcuts -- 1486.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.