Aristotle, [Nicomachean ethics], Anno d[omi]ni. M.cccc.lxxix
- [Nicomachean ethics]
- Alternate Title(s):
- Title from incipit on leaf a2: Incipit prefacio leonardi arretim in libros ethicorum
Nicomachean ethics. Latin
- Impressus Oxoniis : [Theodoric Rood?], Anno d[omi]ni. M.cccc.lxxix.
- Physical Description:
-  pages ; 21 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsB430 .A5 1479Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN Zi 9744: For fuller description see collation leaf in volume. Has one leaf (e₈) only.
Place and date of publication from colophon; printer's name from Rhodes.
Spaces for initials.
Signatures: a-x⁸ y⁶.
See Rhodes, D., "Variants in the 1479 Oxford edition of Aristotle's Ethics" in Studies in bibliography (University of Virginia), VIII (1956), p. 209-12.
Gesamtkatalog der Wiegendrucke, 2373
Catalogue of books printed in the XVth century now in the British Museum, v. XI, page 235
Goff, F.R. Incunabula in American libraries, A-987
Incunabula short title catalogue, ia00987000
Copinger, W.A. Supplement to Hain’s Repertorium bibliographicum, 1749
Pollard, A.W. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, & Ireland and of English books printed abroad, 1475-1640 (2nd ed.), 1752
Duff, E.G. Fifteenth century English books, 32
Rhodes, D.E. Catalogue of incunabula in all the libraries of Oxford University outside the Bodleian, 150
English short title catalogue, S118783
Grolier Club. Fifty-five books printed before 1525 (1968), 37
Selected exhibitions: "Fifty-five Books Printed before 1525: Representing the Works of England's First Printers, an Exhibition from the Collection of Paul Mellon" (Grolier Club, 17 January-3 March 1968).
BAC: British Art Center copy imperfect: 169 of 174 leaves. Lacks leaf a1 (blank); leaves x3-[x6] are supplied in pen-facsimile on early paper. Bound in 19th century morocco, with gilt edges. Extensive Latin marginalia in a small sixteenth or late-fifteenth century hand, very faded and mostly illegible, from Book 8 onwards. "At front is the bookplate of Lord Amherst of Hackney. This was the Ashburnham copy bought by Quaritch at the Ashburnham sale (Sotheby's, 24 June 1897). It was bought at the Amherst sale (Sotheby's, 3 Dec. 1908) by the dealer, Stanley, and in the 19 January 1921 Amherst sale by Maggs. This is probably a duplicate from Earl Spencer's collection and the copy that was in the Bright sale (5 March 1845, lot 180). From Sir Arthur Howard."--Grolier Club.
- Subject Terms:
- Amherst, William Amhurst Tyssen-Amherst, Baron, 1835-1909 -- Bookplate.Ashburnham, Bertram Ashburnham, Earl of, 1797-1878 -- Provenance.Ashburnham, Bertram Ashburnham, Earl of, 1840-1913 -- Provenance.Bright, Benjamin Heywood -- Provenance.Ethics, Ancient -- Early works to 1800.Howard, Arthur, 1869-1971 -- Provenance.Incunabula in Yale Library.Spencer, George John Spencer, Earl, 1758-1834 -- Provenance.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.