Ackroyd, Norman, 1938-, The Barra Isles , 2016
- The Barra Isles / Norman Ackroyd.
- [Yorkshire] : [Norman Ackroyd], 2016.
- Physical Description:
- 10 prints : aquatints ; sheets 23 x 37 cm, in box 26 x 40 cm and  pages ; 23 x 38 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2017 4Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Jason Bacon, Yale BA 1956Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- A set of ten etched landscapes depicting the Barra Isles, also known as Bishop's Isles, in the Outer Hebrides, Scotland. Accompanied by letterpress description of the plates, with map of the islands ( pages). Laid in a black and silver wrapper, the front of which bears a map of the Barra Isles.
"The ten etchings are published in editions of 90 with 2 exhibition proofs and 2 printers' proofs. Numbers 1-50 and the proofs are collated into boxed sets ... The etchings are printed by Neil Woodall in Yorkshire from copper plates etched by the artist. The paper is 280 gsm Somerset rag from St. Cuthbert's Mill, Somerset, England. The solander box is built by Smith-Settle in Yorkshire. Typography and letterpress by Niamh Clancy."--Colophon.
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 8 of the 50 boxed sets. Each etching is titled, numbered ("8/50"), signed, and dated by Ackroyd, in graphite. In original solander box. Ackroyd's prospectus for the present work (and prepublication order postcard) removed to contemporary artists' file.
- 1. Sinclair's Castle -- 2. Castlebay -- 3. The Cliffs of Sandray -- 4. Inner Heisker -- 5. Mingulay Bay -- 6. Lianamul -- 7. Gunamul -- 8. Geirum Mor -- 9. Sloc na Beiste -- 10. Barra Head.
- Subject Terms:
- Bishop's Isles (Scotland) -- Maps.Bishop's Isles (Scotland) -- Pictorial works.Hebrides (Scotland) -- Pictorial works.Islands -- Scotland -- Pictorial works.
- Aquatints -- 2016.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.