A selection of maps / by Mary Anne Ball ; completed Novbr. 26th, 1818.
- England, 1818.
- Physical Description:
- 1 atlas : 25 maps ; 24 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG73 .B45 1818Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Maps & Atlases (manuscript)
- Censuses, etc., record a number of individuals by the name of Mary Anne Ball born in England in the early 1800s. It is unclear which of these may be credited as creator of the present manuscript.
Paper is watermarked 1816 and 1817. In the upper corner of some leaves is a blind stamp depicting an Irish harp surrounded by the text "WRIGHTSON BIRMINGHAM." It probably refers to Robert Wrightson, printer, stationer, paper merchant, etc., at 7/8 New Street, Birmingham.
Bound in red half roan and marbled boards. Spine title: "Maps."
Page numbering is irregular; the volume may have been bound after the manuscript was compiled.
Manuscript atlas with 25 maps of countries and regions of the world, drawn by Mary Anne Ball. Text, including that on the title page, is written in black ink, in a mature cursive throughout. Ball was probably at least in mid-adolescence at the time the manuscript was made. Maps are drawn in black ink and watercolor. The maps depict political boundaries and principal bodies of water, but not cities and towns. Geographical divisions are identified with numbers, keyed to tables on facing pages.
Several pages at front are devoted to "Names of the signs of the Zodiac," "Names of the planets," "Of the four quarters of the year," and "Geography" (a broad outline). This section is accompanied by diagrams of three compasses.
- Subject Terms:
- Europe -- Maps.Geography -- Study and teaching.Wrightson, Robert -- Stamp.
- IIIF Manifest:
- Maps: Old World, as known to the ancients
- The world unknown to the ancients
- Africa Antigua
- Old World
- New World
- North America
- South America
- Sweden Denmark, Norway
- Russia in Europe
- Poland including Lithuania
- Spain, Portugal
- Turkey in Europe
- East Indies
- West Indies.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.