The Canterbury tales.
- [Westminster : William Caxton, 1477]
- Physical Description:
-  p. ; 25 cm. (fol.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR1865 1477+Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View a selection of digital images in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database (Copy 1)
- BEIN Zi 9626: Restricted. Permission of curator needed for use.
BEIN Zi 9626 Copy 1: Capitals in red.
BEIN Zi 9626 Copy 1: Imperfect: P. -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, - wanting; p. - mutilated.
BEIN Zi 9626 Copy 1: Autographs: Thomas Harbat; Mary Longdery; C. Tomsen; John Medfo[rd]. From the libraries of the Earl of Ashburnham, Alfred T. White and Adrian van Sinderen.
BEIN Zi 9626 Copy 1: Modern blind stamped brown morocco, with binder's stamp, M.J.D. Lahey.
BEIN Zi 9626 Copy 2: One leaf only (p. -, beginning "For good and wickednes be two contraryous").
BEIN Zi 9626 Copy 3: One leaf only (p. -, beginning "in seruyse for whiche men yeue thingis spirytuel"). Bookplate: Charles J. Rosenbloom.
BAC: British Art Center copy is DeRicci 22.21. Imperfect: lacks p. [1-30], [33-34], [145-150], [159-160], [215-218], [303-304], [513-514], [531-532], [579-580], [595-596], [613-644], [655-656], and [673-748]. Pages [337-338] and [351-352] are supplied in hand facsimile; however, original leaves from another copy are laid in. Some leaves removed (by the Earl of Ashburnham) to improve the (now) Lilly Library copy (De Ricci 22.11). Pages. [359-362] and [393-394] added by Frank Hogan. Cf. Fifty-five books printed before 1525 representing the works of England's first printers. Grolier Club, 1968. Item 4.
BAC: British Art Center copy headlines and marginal notes are in several early hands. Capitals in red.
BAC: British Art Center copy is from the libraries of the Earl of Ashburnham, Edward Vernon Utterson, Charles W. Clark, Michael Tomkinson, Frank J. Logan, Josiah Kirby Lilly, and Paul Mellon, with their bookplates (except that of Ashburnham). Bound in modern blind tooled calf, with gilt edges and marbled endpapers.
By Geoffrey Chaucer, whose name appears on [3A]5r.
Imprint from A.W. Pollard, Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, & Ireland and of English books printed abroad.
Signatures: [A-2I⁸ 2K¹⁰ 2L-2Q⁸ 2R⁶ 2S-2Z⁸ 3A⁶].
The first leaf, [2K]10, and the last leaf are blank.
Gesamtkatalog der Wiegendrucke, 6585
Goff, F.R. Incunabula in American libraries, C-431
Incunabula short title catalogue, ic00431000
Pollard, A.W. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, & Ireland and of English books printed abroad, 1475-1640 (2nd ed.), 5082
English short title catalogue, S109814
Copinger, W.A. Supplement to Hain's Repertorium bibliographicum, 4921
Proctor, R. Index to the early printed books in the British Museum, 9626
Grolier Club. Fifty-five books printed before 1525 (1968), 4
Selected exhibitions: "Fifty-five Books Printed before 1525: Representing the Works of England's First Printers, an Exhibition from the Collection of Paul Mellon" (Grolier Club, 17 January-3 March 1968).
- Subject Terms:
- Ashburnham, Bertram Ashburnham, Earl of, 1797-1878 -- Ownership.Ashburnham, Bertram Ashburnham, Earl of, 1797-1878 -- Ownership. (BACRB)Harbat, Thomas -- Autograph.Hogan, Francis Joseph, 1877-1944 -- Bookplate. (BACRB)Incunabula in Yale Library -- Single leaves.Incunabula in Yale Library.Lahey, Marguerite Duprez, 1878-1958 -- Binding.Lilly, Josiah Kirby, 1893-1966 -- Bookplate. (BACRB)Longdery, Mary -- Autograph.Medford, John -- Autograph.Rosenbloom, Charles J. -- Bookplate.Tomkinson, Michael, 1841-1921 -- Bookplate. (BACRB)Tomsen, C. -- Autograph.Utterson, Edward Vernon, 1776?-1856 -- Bookplate. (BACRB)Van Sinderen, Adrian, 1887-1963 -- Ownership.White, Alfred T. -- Ownership.
- Binders' stamps (Binding) -- M. J. D. Lahey.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.