Photograph album of country houses and scenery in North Yorkshire and County Durham, ca. 1883-1893
Photograph album of country houses and scenery in North Yorkshire and County Durham.
- Additional Title(s):
- ca. 1883-1893.
- Physical Description:
- 1 album (66 photographs) ; 26 x 30 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.Y6 P46 1883+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Bound in contemporary half leather and green cloth; lettered in gilt on front cover: "Our neighborhood."
The album includes 66 albumen prints of varying sizes, collected by an unidentified compiler. Notable halls and castles are the primary subjects, but also depicted is scenery of the region (including a number of river views) and a small number of portraits. Twenty-two photographs in the album were produced by the firm of Valentine & Sons; the "JV" numbers on these date their registration to between 1883 and 1885. There are also four photographs bearing the stock numbers of F. Frith & Co.; these date to ca. 1885. The remaining photographs are unsigned.
Photographs made by Valentine & Sons include captions within the image. Additional captions are provided in graphite, throughout. Captions date two later photographs to 1890 and 1893.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- England -- Pictorial works.Country homes -- England -- Pictorial works.Durham (England : County) -- Pictorial works.North Yorkshire (England) -- Pictorial works.
- [a] Longhull, the late Admiral Chaloner RN
-  Aske Hall from the lake, Marquis of Zetland. 5099 JV
-  Richmond Castle from the river (JV number illegible)
-  Richmond Castle & bridge. 3534 JV
-  Richmond from terrace. 3335 JV
-  Easby Abbey. 3338 JV
-  Swaledale, Yorks. 5109 JV
-  Swaledale from Willance Leap. 11006 JV
-  Stanwick
-  Stanwick, Eleanor the Duchess of Northumberland
-  Middleton Lodge, Honble. Mrs. Dundas
-  Cliffe, Colonel J.G. Wilson CB
-  Forcett
-  Forcett, Capt. Charles Michell
-  Wentworth (2 views), Rotherham, Earl Fitzwilliam KG
-  Norton Conyers, Ripon, Sir Reginald Graham Bt.
-  The Dairy Bridge, Rokeby (illegible JV number)
-  Junction of Greta & Tees. 5280 JV
-  Greta Bridge, Yorks. 5081 JV
-  Mortham Tower, Rokeby, Yorks. 5277 JV
-  Rokeby
-  Abbey Bridge, Rokeby
-  R.A. Morritt, Harry Morrit (two boys, with dog)
-  Greta
-  Tees, Piercebridge
-  Walworth Castle, Piercebridge, G. Aylmer Esq.
-  High Force, Teesdale. 5301 JV
-  High Force, Deepdale. 5302 JV
-  Raby Castle, late the Duke of Cumberland, is now Lord Barnard's property
-  Barons Hall, Raby Castle (interior view)
-  Raby Castle, Durham 5308 JV
-  Raby Castle
-  At Wensley, Yorkshire. 3775 JV
-  Bolton Hall, Wensleydale. 3776 JV
-  In Bolton Woods. 3778 JV
-  Wensleydale, from Leyburn Shawl. 3769 JV.
-  18139 (F. Frith & Co.) Upleatham Old Church
-  18141 (Frith) Upleatham Hall, Marquis of Zealand
-  18154 (Frith) Guisboro' Abbey
-  18126 (Frith) Marske Hall, Marquis of Zetland
-  Middleham Castle & Leyburn, Wensleydale. 3738 JV
-  Danby Hall, Yorks. 5161 JV
-  Bolton Castle, from north, Wensleydale. 3781 JV
-  Leyburn Shawl and Wensleydale. 3771 JV
-  Crake Hall, Mrs. Michell, Lady Cowell [and] Bolton Hall
-  Thorpe Perrow, Sir Powlett Millbank, Bt. [and] Bedale Hall, Sir Henry Beresford Peirse Bt.
-  Entrance to Raby
-  Raby Castle
-  Snow Hall
-  Group of people outside a large, un-named house
-  Cliffe Hall
-  Castle Eden, Col. R. Burdon
-  Skelton Castle, J.T. Wharton Esq.
-  Mrs. Wharton, 1890 (in a four wheel black carriage with two horse and two coachmen)
-  Skelton Castle
-  Skelton Castle
- - G.T. Griffin Brown, High Sheriff for Yorkshire, Archdeacon of Cleveland, Chaplain. July 1893
-  Upleatham Hall, Marquis of Zetland
-  Halnaby, dining room, W.H. Wilson Todd
-  North front, Halnaby. South, Halnaby (2 views).
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.