Phillips, Thomas, -1693, Nautical chart of Grand Havre, Guernsey, ca. 1680
- Nautical chart of Grand Havre, Guernsey.
- England, ca. 1680.
- Physical Description:
- 1 map : pen and ink and gray wash ; sheet 45 x 57 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2010 6bYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Maps & Atlases (manuscript)
- Scale not given
- Manuscript nautical chart giving the compass bearings and soundings of Grand Havre, Guernsey. The chart was evidently made quickly, from a survey on the spot. It includes hasty depictions of the Vale Church and a windmill beyond it, as well as a ship sailing into the harbor. The chart was probably drawn by the military engineer Thomas Phillips (d. 1693), who in 1679-1680 was sent to the Channel Islands to make maps and plans of the bays (see Oxford Dictionary of National Biography).
Provenance: From the collection of George Legge, first Baron Dartmouth, 1648-1691 (see Sotheby's sale, March 8-10, 1948). Baron Dartmouth was Master-General of the Ordnance to Charles II and James II. His collection of maps was partly abstracted from Royal map collections, an arrangement described by Pepys in Bodleian Library MS Rawl. A. 171, 17r-20v. See also Skelton and Wallis. The chart is numbered "22" in black ink, "vi.22" in graphite.
Title devised by cataloger.
Selected exhibitions: "The Mapmaker's art: 300 years of British cartography" (Yale Center for British Art, January 17-March 12, 1989).
Skelton, R. "The Royal map collections of England." In Imago mundi, vol. 13 (1956), p. 181-183
Wallis, H. "The Royal map collections of England." In Revista da Universidade de Coimbra, vol. XXVIII (1980), p. 466-467
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Church of St Michel Du Valle (Vale, Guernsey)Fortification -- Great Britain.Great Britain -- Defenses.Great Britain -- History, Military -- 1603-1714.Guernsey -- Maps.Nautical charts -- Channel Islands.
- Maps -- Guernsey.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.