Plan of Scarbrogh Castle & towne / delineated by Capt. James Archer, one of his Matie. of England's Ingeniers.
- Additional Title(s):
Plan of Scarborough Castle & towne
- circa 1680.
- Physical Description:
- 1 map : pen and ink and gray wash ; sheet 85 x 170 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2010 6aYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Maps & Atlases (manuscript)
- Scale appoximately 1:1,800
- Provenance: From the collection of George Legge, first Baron Dartmouth, 1648-1691 (see Sotheby's sale, March 8-10, 1948). Baron Dartmouth was Master-General of the Ordnance to Charles II and James II. His collection of maps was partly abstracted from Royal map collections, an arrangement described by Pepys in Bodleian Library MS Rawl. A. 171, 17r-20v. See also Skelton and Wallis. The map is numbered "47" in black ink, "vi.47" in graphite.
Mounted on cloth. Consists of multiple sheets, assembled into one.
Scale approximated from bar scale given in feet.
Skelton, R. "The Royal map collections of England." In Imago mundi, vol. 13 (1956), p. 181-183
Wallis, H. "The Royal map collections of England." In Revista da Universidade de Coimbra, vol. XXVIII (1980), p. 466-467
Manuscript plan of the town of Scarborough, Yorkshire, and the coasts in its vicinity. In the inset at lower left are alphabetical and numerical keys (A-Z; 2-11), and a "Description of the South and North Bay." Towards the center are the scale and an inset showing the "Profil of Scarbrogh Castle." The plan includes depictions of streets, piers, and some individual buildings of the town and castle. Areas of land are covered by a 200-foot grid indexed numerically (in graphite) N-S and E-W.
- Subject Terms:
- Bastions -- Great Britain.Fortification -- Great Britain.Great Britain -- Defenses.Great Britain -- History, Military -- 1603-1714.Scarborough (England) -- Buildings, structures, etc.Scarborough (England) -- Maps.Scarborough Castle (Scarborough, England)
- Maps -- England -- Scarborough.
YCBA Collections Search
Archer, James, approximately 1632-approximately 1680, Plan of Scarbrogh Castle & towne , circa 1680
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.