Storff, Paul Auguste de, Plan of the fortification at Sandown, Isle of Wight, [1671?]
- Plan of the fortification at Sandown, Isle of Wight.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Physical Description:
- 1 map : pen and ink and watercolor ; sheet 69 x 80 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2010 5fYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Maps & Atlases (manuscript)
- Scale approximately 1:600
- The plan is signed "Le Lieutenant Collo. de Stroff fecit." Saunders notes: "Paul August de Storff was employed to survey garrisons in the Isle of Wight from 1671 and the next year was involved with alterations to Rincurran Fort, Kinsale. He was appointed as an engineer to the English Ordnance in 1678 until his discharge three months later" (see: Saunders, Andrew. Fortress Builder, p. 243). Three other Isle of Wight fortification plans by Storff are also present in the YCBA collection, depicting: an unidentified fort, possibly at Newtown (Dartmouth no. vi.1); Newport and Cowes (Dartmouth vi.2); and Carisbrooke Castle (Dartmouth vi.4).
Manuscript plan of the fortification at Sandown, Isle of Wight, by Paul Auguste de Storff. Titled in ink: "Sandem." Land surrounding the fort is rendered semi-pictorially, displaying trees, buildings, etc. A similar manuscript map by Storff is in the collections of the British Library (Maps K.Top.15.34).
Provenance: From the collection of George Legge, first Baron Dartmouth, 1648-1691 (see Sotheby's sale, March 8-10, 1948). Baron Dartmouth was Master-General of the Ordnance to Charles II and James II. His collection of maps was partly abstracted from Royal map collections, an arrangement described by Pepys in Bodleian Library MS Rawl. A. 171, 17r-20v. See also Skelton and Wallis. The map is numbered "3" in black ink, "vi.3" in graphite.
Mounted on cloth.
Scale approximated from bar scale given in feet.
Title devised by cataloger.
Skelton, R. "The Royal map collections of England." In Imago mundi, vol. 13 (1956), p. 181-183
Wallis, H. "The Royal map collections of England." In Revista da Universidade de Coimbra, vol. XXVIII (1980), p. 466-467
- Subject Terms:
- Fortification -- Great Britain.Great Britain -- Defenses.Great Britain -- History, Military -- 1603-1714.Isle of Wight (England) -- Maps.Sandown (England) -- Maps.
- Maps -- England -- Isle of Wight -- Sandown.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.