Phillips, Thomas, -1693, Nautical chart of the east coast of Guernsey, ca. 1680
Nautical chart of the east coast of Guernsey.
- ca. 1680.
- Physical Description:
- 1 map : pen and ink ; sheet 102 x 72 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2010 6cYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Maps & Atlases (manuscript)
- Scale approximately 1:19,000. -- (W 2°32'30"--W 2°24'00"/N 49°30'30"--N 49°25'00")
- Provenance: From the collection of George Legge, first Baron Dartmouth, 1648-1691 (see Sotheby's sale, March 8-10, 1948). Baron Dartmouth was Master-General of the Ordnance to Charles II and James II. His collection of maps was partly abstracted from Royal map collections, an arrangement described by Pepys in Bodleian Library MS Rawl. A. 171, 17r-20v. See also Skelton and Wallis. The chart is numbered "25" in black ink, "vi.25" in graphite.
Title devised by cataloger.
Scale approximated from bar scale.
Mounted on cloth. Includes a few holes, not affecting the chart.
Skelton, R. "The Royal map collections of England." In Imago mundi, vol. 13 (1956), p. 181-183
Wallis, H. "The Royal map collections of England." In Revista da Universidade de Coimbra, vol. XXVIII (1980), p. 466-467
Manuscript nautical chart of the east coast of Guernsey, including a large area of water to the east, including the islands of Herm ("Arem") and Jethou ("Yettho") and other islets, rocks, and reefs. The larger islands are shown in profile as well as area. At the bottom of the chart are 11 lines of text giving compass bearings from Guernsey to various other points. The chart was probably drawn by the military engineer Thomas Phillips (d. 1693), who in 1679-1680 was sent to the Channel Islands to make maps and plans of the bays (see Oxford Dictionary of National Biography).
- Subject Terms:
- Great Britain -- Defenses.Great Britain -- History, Military -- 1603-1714.Guernsey -- Maps.Nautical charts -- Channel Islands.
- Maps -- Guernsey.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.