Hobart, Percy, 1885-1957, Coronation Durbar, Delhi, 1911 , October, 1911
Coronation Durbar, Delhi, 1911 / surveyed by Lieut. P.C.S. Hobart, R.E.
- Roorkee : Photo.-Mechl. and Litho. Dept., Thomason College, October, 1911.
- Physical Description:
- 1 map : on linen ; 85 x 68 cm, on sheet 94 x 78 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTextiles 17aYale Center for British Art, Gift of Gregory F.W. Todd, Yale BA 1976, in memory of Joan Castle SitwellView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale 1:15,840. -- (E 77°08ʹ30ʺ--E 77°15ʹ00ʺ/N 28°45ʹ15ʺ--N 28°38ʹ00ʺ).
- The Coronation Durbar of 1911 was the only one attended by the British sovereign, George V (to mark his succession as Emperor of India). The durbar was held in Delhi on December, 12, "the most spectacular ceremony in the history of the British empire. The king-emperor declared Delhi the new capital and laid its foundation-stone (soon after moved when New Delhi was re-sited). ... This was the first visit (other than to Mediterranean colonies) by a ruling British monarch to an imperial territory, and it completed the ceremonial inauguration of George V's reign" (Oxford Dictionary of National Biography).
The map includes a key to over 500 areas of interest for the durbar, including the central dais for King George V and Queen Mary, and the locations of Indian chiefs and various military divisions.
Scale statement on map reads "4 inches = 1 mile."
Signed in facsimile in bottom right corner: "Sgd. W.B. James, Major, A.Q.M.G." i.e., Major William Bernard James, 2nd Lancers, Assistant Quartermaster General.
"Zinco. Oct. 1911, No. 8377."--Bottom right corner.
- Subject Terms:
- Delhi (India) -- Maps.Durbars -- India -- Delhi.George V, King of Great Britain, 1865-1936 -- Coronation.India -- Politics and government -- 1857-1919.
- Lithographs -- 1911.
Zincographs -- 1911.
Printed textile materials.
Maps -- India -- Delhi.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.