Foster, Kathleen A., American watercolor in the age of Homer and Sargent , 
American watercolor in the age of Homer and Sargent / Kathleen A. Foster.
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania : Philadelphia Museum of Art ; New Haven, Connecticut : Yale University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- 496 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 30 cm
- Reference LibraryND1807 .F68 2017 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Non-Yale users must make an appointment to use the Reference Library. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Related Content:
- Table of conents
- Published on the occasion of an exhibition held at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, March 1-May 14, 2017.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 467-474) and index.
- Subject Terms:
- AquarellUnited States.USAWatercolor painting -- United States -- 19th century -- Exhibitions.Watercolor painting -- United States -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.Watercolor painting, American -- United States -- 19th century -- Exhibitions.Watercolor painting, American -- United States -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.Watercolor painting, American.Watercolor painting.
- Illustrated works.
- Foreword / Timothy Rub
- Introduction: The American watercolor movement
- American watercolor before 1866 : separate worlds
- Ruskin, Turner, and the English tradition, 1855-1865
- The formation of the American Watercolor Society
- "Strenuous and persistent efforts" : the watercolor movement, 1873-1877
- Landscape in the 1870s
- The illustrators : from "black and white" to color, 1873-1882
- Figure painting in the 1870s : Homer and Eakins
- Art for a Decorative Age
- Impressionism from Munich and Rome
- High-water mark : figure painters in the 1880s
- Landscape painting after 1880 : tonalism
- Illustration and decoration in the Gilded Age
- Impressionism and post-impressionism : Prendergast, Homer, and Sargent
- The "American medium" and the moderns
- Flash in the pan : a history of manufacturing watercolor paint in America / Rebecca Pollak
- Appendix A: Members of the New York Water Color Society, 1850-1855
- Appendix B: Members of the American Watercolor Society, 1866-1922
- Appendix C: Chronology of the American watercolor movement.