Butterfield revisited , 2017
Butterfield revisited / edited by Peter Howell and Andrew Saint.
- London : Victorian Society, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- 162 pages : chiefly color illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Reference LibraryNJ18.B984 A12 2017 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes bibliographical references.
"This issue of Studies in Victorian Architecture and Design highlights the superb and idiosyncratic architecture of William Butterfield (1814-1900), whose work holds a place of its own in the history of nineteenth-century design and religion"--Back cover.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Victorian -- Great Britain -- History.Butterfield, William, 1814-1900.Church architecture -- Great Britain -- History.
- 1. 'A perplexing and challenging character': Butterfield the man / Rosemary Hill
- 2. High Anglicanism and high places: the rise of William Butterfield / Geoff Brandwood
- 3. Butterfield's houses / Michael Hall
- 4. William Butterfield in the wider British world / G.A. Bremner
- 5. The Cathedral of the Isles / Gavin Stamp
- 6. Butterfield in Oxford / Peter Howell
- 7. The 1895 restoration of All Saints', Margaret Street / Anderew Saint
- 8. Restoring All Saints', Margaret Street: discoveries and reflections / Colin Kerr
- 9. Researching and writing about William Butterfield / Paul Thompson
- 10. Illustrating Butterfield / Andrew Saint, Helen Jones and Chris Redgrave.