IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
McPherson, Heather, Art & celebrity , 
Art & celebrity : in the age of Reynolds and Siddons / Heather McPherson.
- Additional Title(s):
Art and celebrity
- University Park, Pennsylvania : The Pennsylvania State University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 252 pages ; 26 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.R36 M37 2017 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Full Orbis Record:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
"Explores the vibrant visual and theatrical culture of eighteenth-century England. Focuses on the central role of images in the invention of modern celebrity culture"--Provided by publisher.
- Subject Terms:
- Actresses -- Portraits -- 18th century.Artists and theater -- England -- London -- History -- 18th century.Caricature -- England -- London -- History -- 18th century.Celebrities -- England -- London -- History -- 18th century.Celebrities in art -- History -- 18th century.Portrait painting, English -- England -- London -- 18th century.Reynolds, Joshua, Sir, 1723-1792.Siddons, Sarah, 1755-1831.
- Introduction : studio and stage in the age of Reynolds and Siddons
- Garrick, Reynolds, and the apotheosis of performance
- Portraiture, public display, and the politics of representation
- Staging celebrity : Siddons and tragic pallor
- Targeting celebrity : caricature and cultural politics
- Artistic afterlives and the historiography of fame.