McPherson, Heather, Art & celebrity , 
- Art & celebrity : in the age of Reynolds and Siddons / Heather McPherson.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Art and celebrity
- University Park, Pennsylvania : The Pennsylvania State University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 252 pages ; 26 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.R36 M37 2017 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- "Explores the vibrant visual and theatrical culture of eighteenth-century England. Focuses on the central role of images in the invention of modern celebrity culture"--Provided by publisher.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction : studio and stage in the age of Reynolds and Siddons -- Garrick, Reynolds, and the apotheosis of performance -- Portraiture, public display, and the politics of representation -- Staging celebrity : Siddons and tragic pallor -- Targeting celebrity : caricature and cultural politics -- Artistic afterlives and the historiography of fame.
- Subject Terms:
- Actresses -- Portraits -- 18th century.Artists and theater -- England -- London -- History -- 18th century.Caricature -- England -- London -- History -- 18th century.Celebrities -- England -- London -- History -- 18th century.Celebrities in art -- History -- 18th century.Portrait painting, English -- England -- London -- 18th century.Reynolds, Joshua, Sir, 1723-1792.Siddons, Sarah, 1755-1831.