Piles, Roger de, 1635-1709, The art of painting,, [1754?]
- The art of painting, with the lives and characters of above 300 of the most eminent painters: containing a complete treatise of painting, designing, and the use of prints. With reflexions on the works of the most celebrated masters, and of several schools of Europe, as well ancient as modern ... Tr. from the French of Monsieur de Piles. To which is added, An essay towards an English school.
- The 3d ed.: in which is now first inserted the life of Sir Godfrey Kneller, by the late B. Buckeridge ... who wrote the greatest part of the English school.
- London, Printed for T. Payne [1754?]
- Physical Description:
- 8 p.l., 439 p. 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND1130 P65 1754Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BAC & SML : With this is bound: Burgess, James. The lives of the most eminent modern painters. London, 1754.
BAC : Advertisements:  p. at end.
BAC : Head- and-tail pieces.
BAC : Published in 1754, according to an advertisement in Burgess, James. The lives of the most eminent modern painters. London, 1754.
BEIR Jdb11 P642 708Gd : No. 1 of 2 titles bound together. Armorial bookplate of J.C. Mansel-Pleydell. Bookplate of E.W. Manwaring.
- Subject Terms:
- Mansel-Pleydell, J. C. (John Clavell), 1817-1902 -- Bookplate.Manwaring, Elizabeth Wheeler, b. 1879 -- Bookplate.Painters -- Great Britain.Painters.Painting -- Early works to 1800.
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.