Catalogue of the extensive, genuine, and highly valuable collection of pictures / late the property of the Hon. John Clerk of Eldin ; ... also the superb and entire collection of engravings, painters' etchings, and original drawings by the greatest masters : and a splendid and rare assemblage of ancient china, bronzes, terra-cottas, casts from the antique, coins, &c. &c. : which will be unreservedly sold by auction by Messrs Thomas Winstanley & Sons (of Liverpool), at No. 16 Picardy Place, Edinburgh, on ... the 14th day of March 1833, and thirteen following days ...
- Additional Title(s):
Catalogue of the Eldin collection of pictures, prints, drawings, and articles of 'virtu.'
- [Edinburgh] : [printed by J. Hutchinson], 
- Physical Description:
- , 2, 32, , 33-103, 11 pages,  leaves of plates (1 folded) : 6 illustrations (engravings) ; 21 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8640 .N6+ v. 10 no.9 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Date of sale: March 14-27, 1833.
Place of sale: Edinburgh.
Half title: Catalogue of the Eldin collection of pictures, prints, drawings, and articles of 'virtu'.
"List of the numbers and prices of the collection ... ":--11 pages between page 102 and 103.
BEIN 2017 339: Imperfect: Price list (11 pages) wanting. Armorial bookplate of Sir John Stuart Forbes Bart. of Pitsligo & Fettercairn. Binder's ticket of Robert Seton, Edinburgh. No. 1 of 9 titles bound together.
BAC: British Art Center copy is not annotated. Number 9 of 20 auction catalogs bound together. The volume bound in contemporary half calf; with the armorial bookplate of Baron Northwick.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Prices -- Scotland -- Edinburgh.Art -- Prices.Art -- Private collections -- Scotland -- Edinburgh.Art -- Private collections.Art auctions -- Scotland -- Edinburgh -- Catalogs.Art museums.Decorative arts -- Catalogs.Drawing, European -- Catalogs.Eldin, John Clerk, Lord, 1757-1832 -- Art collections -- Catalogs.Eldin, John Clerk, Lord, 1757-1832.Forbes, John Stuart Hepburn, Sir, 1804-1866 -- Bookplate.Hutchison, J. -- Printer.Northwick, John Rushout, Baron, 1770-1859 -- Bookplate.Painting, European -- Catalogs.Scotland -- Edinburgh.
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
Binders' tickets (Binding)
Engravings -- 1833.
YCBA Collections Search
Eldin, John Clerk, Lord, 1757-1832, Catalogue of the extensive, genuine, and highly valuable collection of pictures , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.