Printed textiles : British and American cottons and linens 1700-1850 / Linda Eaton ; foreword by Mary Schoeser ; photography by Jim Schneck.
- Additional Title(s):
At head of title: Winterthur Museum
- New York : The Monacelli Press, 
- Physical Description:
- 382 pages : illustrations ; 29 cm
- Reference LibraryNK8843.A2 E27 2014 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Non-Yale users must make an appointment to use the Reference Library. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- "Based on the 1970 classic by Florence M. Montgomery."
Includes bibliographical references (pages 360-371) and index.
"A fully revised reissue, updated and enhanced with new color photography, of an influential work on American textiles and their British antecedents, regarded as a classic text on both sides of the Atlantic. Printed Textiles was first published by Viking for the Winterthur Museum in 1970. A history of the cotton and linen textiles printed in Britain and America between 1700 and 1850, discussing their design, methods of manufacture, use, and means of trade. Building on research that has come to light since 1970 and utilizing the technical and scientific expertise of the conservators and scientists at Winterthur, and adding pieces acquired by the museum since 1970, Senior Curator of Textiles Linda Eaton presents a thorough and sweeping study enriched by the diverse approaches to material culture today. The book, illustrated with 600 photographs, offers a full appreciation of the beautiful fabrics that are an intimate part of the Winterthur Museum Collection"-- Provided by publisher.
- Subject Terms:
- ANTIQUES & COLLECTIBLES / Textiles & Costume.DESIGN / Decorative Arts.Great Britain.Textile fabrics -- Great Britain.Textile fabrics -- United States.Textile fabrics.United States.
- The British Calico Printing Industry
- British Trade with North America
- The Use of Printed Furnitures in America and Britain
- Textile Printing in America
- Designers and Design
- The Chemistry and Technology of Calico Printing
- The Catalogue.