Lesser, Wendy, You say to brick , 2017
You say to brick : the life of Louis Kahn / Wendy Lesser.
- Additional Title(s):
Life of Louis Kahn
- First edition.
- New York : Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- 397 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.K13 L47 2017 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email firstname.lastname@example.org]
- BEIN Za K1213 W2017L: Number line on title page verso indicates first printing: "10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1". Dust jacket.
Includes blbiographical references (pages 377-378) and index.
"Born in Estonia 1901 and brought to America in 1906, the architect Louis Kahn grew up in poverty in Philadelphia. By the time of his mysterious death in 1974, he was widely recognized as one of the greatest architects of his era. Yet this enormous reputation was based on only a handful of masterpieces, all built during the last fifteen years of his life. [T]his warm, captivating person, beloved by students and admired by colleagues, was also a secretive man hiding under a series of masks.... Interspersed throughout her account of Kahn's life and career are exhilarating "in situ" descriptions of what it feels like to move through his built structures."-- Book jacket.
- Subject Terms:
- Architects -- United States -- Biography.Architects.Kahn, Louis I., 1901-1974.Kahn, Louis I., 1901-1974.United States.
- In situ : Salk Institute for Biological Studies
- In situ : Kimbell Art Museum
- In situ : Phillips Exeter Library
- In situ : National Assembly Building of Bangladesh
- In situ : Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad