Burlington, Laura, 1972-, House style , 2017
- House style : five centuries of fashion at Chatsworth / Laura Burlington & Hamish Bowles.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Five centuries of fashion at Chatsworth
- New York : Skira Rizzoli Publications in association with Chatsworth, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- 205 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 30 cm
- Reference LibraryGT1760 .B87 2017 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- "Published on the occasion of the exhibition House Style: Five Centuries of Fashion at Chatsworth, organised by and presented at Chatsworth, 25 March to 22 October 2017."--Colophon.
Chatsworth has been home to the Cavendish family and the hereditary dukes of Devonshire since the original Elizabethan house was built on the site purchased by Sir William Cavendish in 1549. A famous historic house in England, Chatsworth is renowned as much for its fashionable history, its majestic dresses and tiaras, its magnificent lace and splendid uniforms, as its unrivaled collection of art, its palatial gardens, and its celebrated family dynasty. House Style takes the reader through images of show-stopping ensembles by the most celebrated designers of the day, from the Victorian era's Jean-Philippe Worth to Alexander McQueen, and also features historic examples of ceremonial, military, court costume, fancy dress, and estate liveries, as well as clothing worn by members of the family to ride, hunt, shoot, and fish. New images of the rare surviving garments and gorgeous contemporary photographs are accompanied by new essays from leading historians and fashion critics. An exclusive invitation into the glamorous world of Chatsworth, this book is a true collectible for Anglophiles, fashion-history aficionados, and those fascinated by aristocratic style. Exhibition: Chatsworth House, Bakewell, UK (25.03. - 22.10.2017).
- Foreword / The Duke of Devonshire -- Preface : Stitches in time : exploring the Cavendish clothes / The Countess of Burlington -- Dressing the Devonshires / Hamish Bowles -- The Empress of Fashion : Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire, 1757-1806 / Kimberly Chrisman-Campbell -- The Devonshire House ball / Sophia Topley -- Mitford style / Charlotte Mosley -- Grandeur, sentiment and individuality : the Cavendish jewels, 1547-2017 / Diana Scarisbrick -- A contemporary portrait : Stella, Amanda and Laura / Sarah Mower.
- Subject Terms:
- Cavendish family -- Clothing -- Exhibitions.Cavendish family -- Homes and haunts -- Exhibitions.Chatsworth (England) -- Exhibitions.