Loggan, David, 1635-1700?, Cantabrigia illustrata, sive, Omnium celeberrimae istius universitatis, collegiorum, aularum, bibliothecae academicae scholarum publicarum, sacelli coll. regalis , [1690?]
- Cantabrigia illustrata, sive, Omnium celeberrimae istius universitatis, collegiorum, aularum, bibliothecae academicae scholarum publicarum, sacelli coll. regalis : regalis nec non totius oppidi ichnographia / deliniatore & sculptore Dav. Loggan utriusque academiae calcographo.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Cantabrigia illustrata
Omnium celeberrimae istius universitatis, collegiorum, aularum, bibliothecae academicae scholarum publicarum, sacelli coll regalis
- [Cambridge] : Quam proprijs sumptibus typis mandavit & impressit Cantabrigiae, [1690?]
- Physical Description:
-  leaves : illustrations ; 45 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2014 50Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Some copies include a frontispiece portrait of Charles II signed: Riley pinx: Smith fec. Other copies include a frontispiece portrait of Charles, Duke of Somerset signed Wm Clarke fec.
Engraved throughout, with most plates signed by the author:  single leaves and  double leaves.
This work is sometimes dated "", but the view of Trinity Hall is dated 1689, & the view of Magdalene College mentions Gabriel Quadring as master, elected 1690; Loggan himself was not named engraver to the University until 1690. See: Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
Wing (2d ed.), L2837
ESTC (RLIN), R9256
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 1478-1840, 1913
Includes engraved index of plates.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary gilt-tooled red morocco by the Centre Rectangle Binder; dated 1690 on front cover. Frontispiece in the British Art Center copy is a mezzotint portrait of Charles, Duke of Somerset by William Clarke. Has bound with it: Oxonia illustrata. Cambridge, 1675.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- England -- Cambridge -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Centre Rectangle Binder -- Bookbinder.Universities and colleges -- England -- Cambridge -- Pictorial works.University of Cambridge -- Buildings -- Pictorial works.University of Cambridge -- History.
- Mezzotints -- 1690.
Engravings -- 1690.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.