IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Loggan, David, 1635-1700?, Cantabrigia illustrata, sive, Omnium celeberrimae istius universitatis, collegiorum, aularum, bibliothecae academicae scholarum publicarum, sacelli coll. regalis , [1690?]
Cantabrigia illustrata, sive, Omnium celeberrimae istius universitatis, collegiorum, aularum, bibliothecae academicae scholarum publicarum, sacelli coll. regalis : regalis nec non totius oppidi ichnographia / deliniatore and sculptore Dav. Loggan utriusque academiae calcographo.
- Additional Title(s):
Omnium celeberrimae istius universitatis, collegiorum, aularum, bibliothecae academicae scholarum publicarum, sacelli coll regalis
- [Cambridge] : Quam proprijs sumptibus typis mandavit and impressit Cantabrigiae, [1690?]
- Physical Description:
-  leaves : illustrations ; 45 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2014 50Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Some copies include a frontispiece portrait of Charles II signed: Riley pinx: Smith fec. Other copies include a frontispiece portrait of Charles, Duke of Somerset signed Wm Clarke fec.
Engraved throughout, with most plates signed by the author:  single leaves and  double leaves.
This work is sometimes dated "", but the view of Trinity Hall is dated 1689, and the view of Magdalene College mentions Gabriel Quadring as master, elected 1690; Loggan himself was not named engraver to the University until 1690. See: Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
Wing (2d edition), L2837
English short title catalogue, R9256
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 1478-1840, 1913
Includes engraved index of plates.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary gilt-tooled red morocco by the Centre Rectangle Binder; dated 1690 on front cover. Frontispiece in the British Art Center copy is a mezzotint portrait of Charles, Duke of Somerset by William Clarke. Has bound with it: Oxonia illustrata. Cambridge, 1675.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- England -- Cambridge -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Centre Rectangle Binder -- Bookbinder.Universities and colleges -- England -- Cambridge -- Pictorial works.University of Cambridge -- Buildings -- Pictorial works.University of Cambridge -- History.
- Mezzotints -- 1690.
Engravings -- 1690.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.