Letters from London.
- Additional Title(s):
Letters written from London
- London : Printed for Darton and Harvey, Gracechurch-Street, 1808.
- Physical Description:
- , 52 pages : illustrations ; 16 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA678 .L48 1808Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Includes an attack on the practice of selling young boys into life as chimney sweeps as well as an engraving of George Smart's 1803 invention of the chimney-sweeping machine.
Title and imprint from cover. Title page reads: "Letters written from London : descriptive of various scenes and occurences frequently met with in the metropolis and its vicinity : for the amusement of children : illustrated by plates. London : Printed for Darton and Harvey, Gracechurch-Street, 1807. Price one shilling"
Some illustrations have imprint: "Published by W. Darton and J. Harvey, Decr. 24, 1806."
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original printed wrappers. Inscriptions: "Anna Bairn's book, 1810, the gift of Miss D. Simpson"; "Jane Weddall the gift of her affectionate [illegible] Sept. 21st 1839."
"Unusual among juvenile works about London for its emphasis on provision for the poor and the handicapped ... [includes mention of] John Lancaster's school in the Borough Road, the School for the Blind in St. George's Fields, the Asylum for Female Orphans ... The illusns are in the style of William Darton but the text appears to be by another hand."--Darton, Lawrence. The Dartons (2004). Description of the original 1807 edition, entry no. G571.
- Subject Terms:
- Bairn, Anna -- Provenance.Child labor -- Great Britain.Chimney -- Cleaning.Chimney sweeps -- Great Britain.London (England) -- Description and travel.Orphans -- Great Britain.Simpson, D. -- Provenance.Weddall, Jane -- Provenance.
- Etchings -- 1808.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.