Plant : exploring the botanical world / [commissioning editor: Victoria Clarke ; project editor: Rosie Pickles].
- Additional Title(s):
Exploring the botanical world
- London ; New York, NY : Phaidon Press, 2016.
- Physical Description:
- 351 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 30 cm
- Reference LibraryN7680 .P53 2016 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "The artworks in this book have been arranged in pairs to highlight interesting comparisons and contrasts based loosely on their subject, age, purpose, origin or appearance. This organizational system is not definitive and many other arrangements would have been possible. A chronological survey of botanical art can be found in the timeline at the back."--Title page verso.
Includes bibliographical references (page 343) and index.
This fresh and visually stunning survey celebrates the extraordinary beauty and diversity of plants. It combines photographs and cutting-edge micrograph scans with watercolours, drawings, and prints to bring this universally popular and captivating subject vividly to life. Carefully selected by an international panel of experts and arranged in a uniquely structured sequence to highlight thought-provoking contrasts and similarities, this stunning compilation of botanically themed images includes iconic work by celebrated artists, photographers, scientists, and botanical illustrators, as well as rare and previously unpublished images.
- Subject Terms:
- Botanical illustration -- History.Botanical illustration.Botanical illustration.Cloth or Hardcover.Flowers in art -- Pictorial works.Flowers in art.Gardening -- Horticulture.General.Plants in art -- History.Plants in art -- Pictorial works.Plants in art.
- Illustrated works.
- Works of art
- Plant taxonomy & glossary
- Selected biographies
- Further reading