The painted picture play-book. Second series : illustrated with nearly three hundred coloured pictures, and an explanatory verse to each / the engravings by various eminent artists ; the verses by James Bishop.
- Additional Title(s):
Painted picture play book
- London : Dean and Son, 31, Ludgate-Hill, London, three doors west of Old Bailey : Juvenile Publication, and Family Bible, Prayer-Book, and Church-Service Warehouse, [1856?]
- Physical Description:
-  leaves : color illustrations ; 34 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPN6110.C4 .B57 1856+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Gift of Ellen and Arthur Liman, Yale JD 1957View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Cover illustration dated 1855-1856.
Two illustrations signed: Calvert [i.e. William Calvert]
One illustration signed: Clayton [i.e. Benjamin Clayton]
Includes publisher's advertisements.
BAC: British Art Center bound in publisher's original yellow illustrated boards. Autograph: Stuart Townshend Parry. March 6th/57. Calcutta.
- Subject Terms:
- Children's poetry.England -- Social life and customs -- 19th century -- Juvenile literature.Liman, Ellen and Arthur -- Provenance.Parry, Stuart Townshend -- Autograph.Picture books for children.
- Pictorial bindings (Binding)
Color printing (Printing)
Printed wrappers (Binding)
Wood engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1856.
YCBA Collections Search
Bishop, James, active 19th century, The painted picture play-book, [1856?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.