Explanation of the view of the splendid victory gained by the Marquis of Wellington over the French army, consisting of 65,000 men, commanded by Joseph Bonaparte, on the plains of Vittoria : the view, painted by Henry Aston Barker and assistants, from drawings taken on the spot by Mr. Burford, is now exhibiting in the great rotunda of the Panorama, Leicester Square.
- Additional Title(s):
Panorama, Leicester Square
- [London] : J. Adlard, printer, 23, Bartholomew Close, 1814.
- Physical Description:
- 1 print : woodcut and letterpress ; sheet 40 x 30 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2016 3kYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Barker also issued a printed pamphlet describing the panorama: Description of the view of the battle of Vittoria ... 12 pages. The pamphlet notes, on page 2: "The scene therefore exhibits the action toward its conclusion, at about 4 o'clock, p.m., when the centre and left of the French army were in full retreat, and Lord Wellington had given order to the 15th Hussars and Household Troops to charge the enemy ..."
"The upper circle contains a highly finished view of the grand harbour of Malta." The Malta panorama is not depicted in the broadside.
BAC: British Art Center also has Barker's printed pamphlet describing the panorama (DC233.V3 B37 1814); see link herewith.
A schematic key to a 360-degree panorama of the Battle of Vitoria, exhibited at the Leicester Square Panorama. The key identifies major geographical features and combatants. It provides, at head, a list of Lord Wellington's officers.
- Subject Terms:
- Joseph Bonaparte, King of Spain, 1768-1844 -- Military leadership.Malta.Panorama (Leicester Square, London, England)Panoramas -- Great Britain.Peninsular War, 1807-1814 -- Campaigns -- Spain.Vitoria (Spain) -- Pictorial works.Vitoria, Battle of, Vitoria, Spain, 1813 -- Pictorial works.Wellington, Arthur Wellesley, Duke of, 1769-1852 -- Military leadership.
Woodcuts -- 1814.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Barker, Henry Aston, 1774-1856, Explanation of the view of the splendid victory gained by the Marquis of Wellington over the French army, consisting of 65,000 men, commanded by Joseph Bonaparte, on the plains of Vittoria , 1814
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.