Cowper, William, 1731-1800, John Gilpin, [approximately 1870]
- John Gilpin.
- London : Frederick Warne & Co., [approximately 1870]
- Physical Description:
-  leaves,  leaves of plates : color illustrations ; 26 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR3382 .J6 1870 BoxYale Center for British Art, Gift of Ellen and Arthur Liman, Yale JD 1957Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title and publication statement from cover.
First and last leaves pasted to cover.
Colour wood-engraved plates are with imprint: "Kronheim and Co., London." Plates include areas printed in colour with metal. All are unsigned.
"Price one shilling; or, Mounted with linen, two shillings."
At head of cover title: "Aunt Louisa's London Toy Books."
Text originally written by William Cowper. Cf. British Library Public Catalogue.
"Aunt Louisa" was a pseudonym of Laura Valentine, general editor of Warne's publishing house, who possibly wrote most of the verses of text for this series of toy books.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original printed wrappers.
- Subject Terms:
- Illustrated children's books -- Specimens.Illustrated children's books.Liman, Ellen and Arthur -- Provenance.
- Wood engravings -- Color -- Specimens -- Great Britain -- Between 1866 and 1867.
Printed wrappers -- Color -- Specimens -- Great Britain -- Between 1866 and 1867.
Chromoxylographs -- [approximately 1870]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.