A decade of gifts and acquisitions / curated by Elisabeth Fairman, Matthew Hargraves, Lars Kokkonen, Sarah Welcome ; under the direction of Scott Wilcox.
- [New Haven, Conn.] : Yale Center for British Art, 
- Physical Description:
- 28 unnumbered pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Reference LibraryV 2724Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Catalogue of an exhibition held at the Yale Center for British Art, June 1-August 13, 2017.
"The Yale Center for British Art opened to the public forty years ago, on April 19, 1977. The Center's building, collections, and the endowments on which it operates were Paul Mellon's greatest gift to Yale University, from which he received his bachelor of arts degree in 1929. Throughout is life, Mr. Mellon continued to add to the Center's collections, and after his life, Mr. Mellon continued to add to the Center's collections, and after his death, in 1999, hundreds of additional works were bequeathed, along with final monetary donations of substantial proportions. In the forty years of the Center's existence, the collections have grown considerably, not just through Mr. Mellon's immense generosity but through that of many other benefactors. In celebration of the institution's fortieth anniversary, this suite of small exhibitons highlights some of the splendid gifts and acqusitions that have enriched and expanded the Center's collections over just the past decade. It includes a display of the final works from Mr. Mellon's collection, which came to the Center after the death of his wife, Rachel Lambert Mellon, in 2014."
- Subject Terms:
- Mellon, Paul -- Art collections.Mellon, Paul, Mrs. -- Art collections.Yale Center for British Art -- Exhibitions.
- A miscellany of historic drawings
- Paul and Bunny Mellon: the final gift
- Joseph McCrindle and Brian Sewell: art and friendship
- John Golding: from the artist's estate
- Pastels and portaits
- Modern and contemporary prints
- Instruction with delight
- War and conflict
- The British empire in India
- The inexhaustible regions of nature