Beckman, Martin, -1702, The groundplott of Bouche de Vale on the N.W. side of Guarnsey , 1690
The groundplott of Bouche de Vale on the N.W. side of Guarnsey / M. Beckman.
- Physical Description:
- 1 map : pen and ink and watercolor ; 43 x 111 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio D no. 2 In Process (Cabinet Q)Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Maps & Atlases (manuscript)
- Provenance: From the collection of George Legge, first Baron Dartmouth, 1648-1691 (see Sotheby's sale, March 8-10, 1948). Baron Dartmouth was Master-General of the Ordnance to Charles II and James II. His collection of maps was partly abstracted from Royal map collections, an arrangement described by Pepys in Bodleian Library MS Rawl. A. 171, 17r-20v. See also Skelton and Wallis. The map is numbered "21" in black ink, "vi.21" in graphite.
Mounted on cloth.
Title from caption.
Skelton, R. "The Royal map collections of England." In Imago mundi, vol. 13 (1956), p. 181-183
Wallis, H. "The Royal map collections of England." In Revista da Universidade de Coimbra, vol. XXVIII (1980), p. 466-467
- Subject Terms:
- Fortification -- Great Britain.Great Britain -- Defenses.Great Britain -- History, Military -- 1603-1714.Guernsey.
- Maps -- England -- Guernsey.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.