Orientalisches parquetspiel = Jeu de parquet oriental = The play of Oriental inlaid work, [approximately 1835?]
- Orientalisches parquetspiel = Jeu de parquet oriental = The play of Oriental inlaid work.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Jeu de parquet oriental
Play of Oriental inlaid work
- [Germany?] : [publisher not identified], [approximately 1835?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 puzzle (156 pieces) : wood ; in box 26 x 26 x 2 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2018 8Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Consists of a set of 156 mosaic tiles, shaped as squares, triangles, and trapezoids of various sizes, in yellow, mustard, orange, black, green, red, pink and blue. Issued with a sheet of letterpress instructions (in German, French, and English, 22 x 15 cm) and a sheet containing six hand-colored examples of designs that can be made with the tiles (37 x 35 cm). Issued in a wooden box, the sliding lid of which bears a lithographed illustration of three women in Middle Eastern dress playing a puzzle game.
Title from box lid.
"In this new mosaic game the form agrees well with the colours; therefore not only the good taste of the children is cultivated by it, but also their mind is impelled to an inventive activity, as they are obliged to look for new designs. Thus our mosaic amply rewarding all the pains that were taken in it will certainly be one of the most useful games which answers fully its purpose and at the same time is an inexhaustible source of recreation."--Instruction sheet.
Biedermeiers Glück und Ende : ... die gestörte Idylle, 1815-1848, 220.127.116.11
BAC: British Art Center copy imperfect: lacking four of the smaller mosaic tiles.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- Germany -- 19th century.Amusements -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Germany -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Mosaics.Orientalism in art.
Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
Lithographs -- 1835.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.