London / Peter Blake.
- London : Polite, 2012.
- Physical Description:
-  postcards : color illustrations ; each card 15 x 15 cm, in box 16 x 16 x 2 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN6797.B53 L66 2012 FlatYale Center for British Art, Gift of Gillian ForresterView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Title from box top.
"The latest stop on Peter Blake's tour of the great cities is London. Blake is a long time resident of London and his affection and understanding of it is beautifully displayed in this series of postcard prints. As with his other collage works in this series Blake creates hugely complex and humorous scenarios filled with characters and objects found in his personal collection of printed materials. The series contains several classic Blake motifs such as the circus, magic, crowds, dancing and butterflies, and showcases the sophistry of his compositional skills. Piccadilly Circus is inhabited by comic book heroes, animals run wild over Westminster Abbey and skeletons dance at Ludgate Circus. Abbey road gets a refreshing treatment and there's another regatta on the Thames, this time with antique airships and balloons overhead."--Publisher's website, accessed July 10, 2017.
"This box contains two copies of all ten images in the London Suite, reproduced as 148mm square lithographically printed postcards and presented in a hand finished box designed by Blake and made in Stockport."--Publisher's website, accessed July 10, 2017.
- Subject Terms:
- Blake, Peter, 1932-London (England) -- Pictorial works.
- Horse Guards Parade. Horses and Horseman
- Petticoat Land. One Hundred Women
- Westminster Abbey. Animalia
- Regent Street. Dancing
- Piccadilly Circus. The Convention of Comic Book Characters
- Abbey Road. Parade
- Regents Park. The Runaway Donkeys
- River Thames. Regatta
- Hyde Park. Positively the Last Appearance of the Butterfly Man
- Ludgate Circus. Day of the Skeletons.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.