Davy, Henry, active 1829, Original drawings for A series of etchings illustrative of the architectural antiquities of Suffolk, 1817-1828
Original drawings for A series of etchings illustrative of the architectural antiquities of Suffolk.
- England, 1817-1828.
- Physical Description:
- 70 drawings ; each approximately by 30 x 20 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2017 12 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Related Content:
- View catalog record for Davy's published work, with which the present drawings are bound
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Sixty-three of the drawings are in graphite and brown wash. The remaining seven -- of Bury St. Edmunds (3), North Cove Church, Walberswick Church, Covehithe Church, and Bungay Church -- are in full watercolor over graphite. Drawings match the size of their published versions; each drawing is affixed to a blank leaf in the volume, facing its corresponding etching.
About half of the drawings are signed by Davy; a smaller number are dated. Dates match or precede the year of the published etching. A handful of drawings, however, are dated 1828 -- at least one year after the date of the etched versions. These scenes may have been redrawn to complete the set.
The volume is bound in later quarter black morocco and marbled boards. With the armorial bookplate of Charles Barclay, of Henstead House; Barclay's name appears on the list of original subscribers for a large paper copy of Davy's published work.
Blatchly, J. Topographers of Suffolk, page 18
Includes 70 drawings by Henry Davy of abbeys, churches, castles, country houses, and other antiquities published in Davy's A series of etchings illustrative of the architectural antiquities of Suffolk (1827). The published versions are faithful to Davy's original drawings. The drawings are bound with a copy of the published version of Davy's work (see link herewith).
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Medieval -- England -- Suffolk.Barclay, Charles, 1780-1855 -- Bookplate.Church architecture -- England -- Suffolk.Historic buildings -- England -- Suffolk.Suffolk (England) -- Antiquities.
- Graphite drawings.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.